Skip to main content

Farewell, Depth of Field

Owning a local yarn shop is tough, the hours of work are long (classes have to be taught at night or weekends to accommodate working knitters), the margins are small and some knitters can be very sensitive about the type of service they expect or how quickly they will learn to knit and can write scathing reviews.

Depth of Field is a yarn shop I wrote about here in September 2017.  At that time it was clear the place could use some spiffing up, but the prices were so hard to beat.  This week Susan, my Minneapolis knit buddy, let me know that the shop will be closing in the near future, specifically December 1, 2018 despite being opened since 1938.  She also mentioned everything was half price and there was plenty of roving for spinning to pick from still among the stock.

Even though I have put a ban on purchases of roving or yarn for 2018 I made an exception.  One of my purchases made at Depth of Field is shown below:

Plymonth Yarn's Galway Super Chunky in Cabernet on the left and Dark Gray on the right.  I bought three of each color
My thought was this 100% Highland wool roving would be perfect for spinning.  There are 100 grams or approximately four ounces (54 feet as is) in each cake.  Beside these two colors being a couple of my very favorites the price was less than $4.65 per cake.  This makes for very affordable roving that should yield enough yarn for a shawl.  Once I have one cake plied it will become clearer how much yarn I will actually be creating.

This morning I got out my wheel to check on the theory that it would be simple to spin.  As you can see from the photo below the staple has barely been spun and in the store a quick test of the draft gave me confidence it would spin up just fine.




And it has spun up like a dream.  Once the drafting was started the long draw worked rather nicely.  So I am taking that super chunky yarn and turning it into a fine yarn that will eventually be double plied.  A nice plus I found as I spun is that it is heathered (had I looked it up online I would have known this).  There are spats of light and dark grey as well as a smattering of charcoal colors throughout.  

The chunky vs. the spun light-weight
As the spinning began and the heather is showing
Perhaps some of the most observant among you noticed something in the picture above.  If not, let me point it out.  See the little teeth marks on either side of the whirl?  (near the top left and right of the photo)  As I looked on I also found this:


Seems someone is having fun with my spinning wheel and I know just who it is.  Miss Mara has been found hiding under the light weight throw used to keep dust off the wheel.  It does sit in my living room and I suspect overnight or while I've been away, Mara has decided to leave her mark. I'm going to need to find a more cat-proof way to store the spinning wheel.  It doesn't have to be pristine, but there's no need for these little gnaw marks either.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4