Skip to main content

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal.

A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy

Yarn barf.  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.)

Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer

These are hanks which need to be wound into balls 

If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 40 skeins, find the start in them?  Not so readily identifiable are they?

Acrylic yarns are generally sold in skeins which are coils of worsted yarn wound into balls by the manufacturer.  These coils are spun allowing  knitters to pull the yarn either from the outside or inside of the skein.  Pulling the yarn from the outside causes the always-rolling skein.  However, most of us dig into the inside of the skein and, sometimes if we're lucky, locate the inside start of the skein to use. Knitting with yarn coming from the inside of the ball eliminates the dancing ball/cat chasing part of the enterprise and is universally preferred by yarn users.

Now, back to yarn barf.  When one sticks fingers into the centre of the skein there is about a 50-50 chance of locating the start of the skein (at least for me).  So half the time I end up with a wad of yarn coming out of the centre of the skein with a certain amount of velocity because I'm tugging on it pretty hard, the effect of which is yarn barf.  I am about to show you photographs of yarn barf; but I assure you if you're eating right now while you read this, you will be fine.

A yarn barf of some size.

Or this

An even bigger yarn barf , BTW ignore the spools of support yarn for this discussion. They too were in the centre of the skein.
To avoid yarn barf one can take a couple of approaches.  The first should be to carefully read instructions that may be on the band placed around the skein (like the Lang JaWoll Sport labelled one shown above).   I have found such instructions on some skeins but like almost every other special opening instructions given on a product, I ignore it and dive right in, at times with disastrous results.  Another way to avoid yarn barf is to stretch the centre opening and gently use a crochet hook to pull on one of the inside threads at a time.  If that thread is not free, move on to another one until you find one that is easy to tug on.  This usually only minimizes the yarn barf, but even that is great step forward.

In the end however, most of us fail at these techniques and have to deal with the barf.  The best thing to do is butterfly the barf using a technique shown in this video.  You would avoid the snipping of the yarn part and merely tie off the excess yarn and push it back into the centre of the skein if it fits, otherwise it sits next to the skein.  (You know, you don't want to mix your regular yarn with your barf yarn, am I right!)  You'll then knit from the butterfly until your project catches up with the yarn and voila you're yarn barf free.

I know, I know this isn't exactly the most terrible of knitting catastrophes much less any other catastrophe; but yarn barf can be problematic because it is such a yarny mess.  And it always happens at a time when anticipation and excitement to start are so high.  Oh the trials and tribulations, worries and woes of the average knitter.  




Comments

  1. Thanks for this post! I deal with yarn barf a lot, but mostly only at the end of a hank. I've found that carefully hanging the hank on the back of a wooden chair - so it forms a large, controllable "doughnut" - helps the winding progress from becoming larger barf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find Hoop earrings new zealandBrowse our elegant range of hoop earrings online for women in NZ at affordable price. Fashionzhome offers a stunning range of hoop earrings in New Zealand.


    Please Visit at: https://www.fashionzhome.co.nz/collections/earrings

    ReplyDelete
  3. After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
    you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uimanmag-gu Stephanie Weintraub Download crack
    veymingroca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Usage II: Crochet vs. Knit

All four swatches were made.  Each is 6.25" or 15.875 cm square; each prepared with the same sized yarn and needles or hook.  It took 25 stitches to get the appropriate width for the knit swatches and only 20 stitches for both of the crocheted squares.  That already says something, but I'll get to it in a minute.  (Don't know what I'm talking about here?  Check out this post first.) Unfortunately, you'll just have to trust me that four swatches were prepared and that they were all the same size.  In the excitement to get to measuring and weighing of the swatches, no photographic evidence was taken.  Luckily for me the results of this research doesn't have to be reviewed by a jury of my peer.  This blog post will be the sum and total of where this information is published. The remains of my four swatches What can be shared, however, are the balls of yarn rewound after the weighing and measuring was completed.  You will note the size of the balls vary.