Skip to main content

Gake

It appears Fall/Winter hit us today in the Lower Mainland.  For a little over a week we have had lovely, balmy 70- 80 degree weather (20-25 C).  This morning, on the other hand, we woke to light rain, clouds and 60 degrees (15 C).  So cooler weather is upon us, but me, I am working on a light weight summer top called Gake by Kirsten Johnstone.

As you can see below, Gake is an asymmetrical top knit in linen with a metal thread insert around the collar.  Should you take a moment to look at the photos on Ravelry (using the link above) you will see knitters have modified the pattern in several ways.  Some have made the sleeves the same, some have knit both sides in garter (the pattern has one side in garter and the other all purl stitches), and others have changed that seam down the middle of the front and back into something else.

Photo credit to yumikomama on Ravelry
Susan is the one responsible for this inspiration because she had knit a lovely green Gake for herself.
I had long admired her version where both of her sleeves look like the one on the right in the photo above.  (As an aside, the colour of the Annis I knit for her matches her Gake perfectly.  Subconsciously I more than likely had her Gake in mind when I purchased the wool so much is my infatuation with it.)

I had been thinking of making a purchase of linen yarn for months.  It offers such a lovely drape to whatever it is used to make.  But the Habu Textiles yarn used in the pattern was a bit too pricey for my taste; not to mention the knitter doubles the yarn to get gauge.  To my thinking if one could find a thicker yarn, the doubling would not be necessary.

As a rule of thumb it is my habit to look at all the yarn shops I can get to in a geographic area.  The Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) have a number of shops so it has taken me a bit of time to check out all of them.  This summer I found Depth of Field Yarn located on Cedar Avenue in Minneapolis, a location where many Somali immigrants call home.  The neighborhood is lively with diversity and this yarn shop is joined to a furniture shop specializing in futons.  The adventure was in finding it.

While there I picked up enough yarn to make Gake.  The yarn I chose is called Cashmere Canapa by Hemp for Knitting.  It is made up of 60% cotton, 30% cashmere and 10% hemp and each ball has 120 yards/110 meters.  The colour is Rust.

I think the colour looks more like salmon than rust, but that's just me.
This yarn was the perfect weight to give me gauge without having to double it up.  The cashmere with the cotton creates a very soft feeling garment and it was on sale to boot.  Additionally, as noted above a metal yarn is used to line the collar.  SteveB's yarn shop had the perfect match to my Rust in Habu Textiles' Item #N-69B in copper and bamboo in the colour Terra Cotta.  The colour choices are limited in this specialty yarn so it was fortunate the match was so perfect.

Image from habutextiles.com

Here is the first half of Gake already off the needles.  The construction has the knitter do the right front and back as one piece, which is what you see below.



I am able to put it on and this side fits perfectly.  The left side is started, but I am contemplating my options.  Decisions about whether my finishing skills are up to creating a good looking, highly visible seam to put the two pieces together and the type of sleeve I want on this garment must be made.  Luckily the weather has cooled so this project can take a rest until after the New Year.  By then I should know how I want to proceed.

Susan thanks for the inspiration.  Gake has been a real dream to create so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4