Skip to main content

Pickle Done

So I started making the Christmas Pickle last night and finished it this afternoon.  The pattern is from Pattern Recogknition.  This pattern was selected because it looks less like a cylinder and more like a real pickle, it has curves.  That and the fact I could use my mini crochet hook to add beads to make the spines of the pickle.  The only dynamic was the pattern uses a regular wrap and turn technique to create short rows rather than my preferred German Short Rows technique.  So I went online and found some help to make the conversion.

Patty Lyons gives a great tutorial here to do it.   Should you check out the link you will see it is easy, but nonetheless I wrote it down so not to put myself in the situation of doing it on the fly.  It was simple and gives the extra stitches to the head and at the bottom of the pickle.  See the photos below.

The googly eyes were purchased years ago in Seattle at another discount fabric store.  They are the permanent type with a clingy clasp on the back so those eyes will never be pulled through the knitting.  The nose is a big orange bead and I was able to add the 20 green beads with my crochet hook.  It was good to practice that technique again.

The final product is very satisfactory.

In the morning light as the knitting is in process

The finished Christmas Pickle with its curves in the afternoon light

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...