Skip to main content

Spinning and Beading Part II

I didn't forget about Spinning Wednesday, quite the opposite.  What I did try to spin on Wednesday was such a complete failure I decided not to share it. (This might not come as a surprise but there are many failures that are kept quiet.  It's one of the perks of being the editor.)  Never fear, I will attempt again and be back next Wednesday with spinning to share.  It might be the fixed thing from last Wednesday or something new.

As for Beading Friday I liked the wrapped bracelet so well from last week I decided to make two more, one in shades of blue, the other in shades of brown.  As you can see they look very much like the first and  I continue to be very satisfied with them.  These wrap bracelets are great for using up smaller amounts of beads and are quick to make, thumbs up and thumbs up.





The most exciting thing I did in the past couple of days was to find this website.  It is called ChartGen, a free chart generating tool for knitters.  Although some of the symbols are slightly different from the ones I am accustom to using, this software program allows one to take the written word or type in alphabetic abbreviations of written instructions.  The software then creates a chart that is very profession looking.  Here's my attempt for Rows 28-41 of Anisette.  It is not accurate but you get to see how compact, clean and easy it is to read compared to my graph paper version.  (Doing these must-be-exact types of tasks does not play to my strengths.  [You know, like getting words spelled correctly etc.]   I will get it right eventually.)

Now even if it isn't Wednesday, I think I will see what I can do about that spinning project.  Excuse me ~~~~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...