Skip to main content

Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf, Again

A while back I talked about the Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf.  I even showed you my work up to that point. After the post, my friend Karen said she liked the colours and would like to commission one for herself. Well, no need to commission something there Karen, I already have just the colours you want on my needles.  So this is how the Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf left the back burner after months of neglect and moved to the hot front burner.  (I'm motivated when I know who will get something fresh off my needles.  So Karen, thanks for the rekick-start.)

If this scarf was going to be a gift it seemed appropriate to look at my previous work, I mean really closely look at it.  It is one thing for me to be content with something if it is for me, but if I'm giving it away and people will be attributing it to me, I want to have my best out there.  My previous work on this scarf was not my best because frankly I had been sloppy.  Although the stitch was easy, it was new to me.  A sensible knitter would have done a small swatch, something that didn't include 450 stitches to become familiar with the look and feel of working the pattern.  But did I do a swatch, no, because the stitch was so easy.   After several rows of knitting the entire length of the scarf I did figure out what I was doing, but up until then, well let's say my developing skills showed.

It is a bit hard to admit you don't have the attention span to be able to focus on knit one, move the yarn to the front, slip one, move the yarn to the back repeat; then on the wrong side purl one, move the yarn to the back, slip one, move the yarn to the front etc.  If you do it right there is a rhythm to the process and it's easy to identify the slip stitch.  But my mind obviously wanders, I have concrete evidence this is a problem for me in this scarf.  (In my own defense it does take 30 minutes or so to complete one 450 stitch row and there are now 23 rows complete.)  So after the close examination flubbed stitches showed; and it was only those sloppy bits that I focused on. 

There's only one solution to such a situation, it required frogging the entire project.  Under normal circumstances this isn't that big a deal.  One rips out a few rows and then wets/steams the yarn to reshape it.  Here's a photo that shows the difference between frogged yarn and yet to be knit yarn:

The frogged yarn is on top
See all the ridges and/or bumps on the top yarn.  Generally it is really important to get frogged yarn smooth before you reuse it because the two types of yarn knit up differently.  However, in my case, I wanted to take advantage of this difference.  Why, you might ask?  The scarf requires after every row that you cut the yarn in order to create a fringe as you go.  So once you rip out the entire project there are lots of pre-cut lengths of yarn that you want to be the right size when you knit it up again.  With this particular yarn the ridges, wiggles or bumps soften the yarn so my pre-cut length is more than enough to complete the row.  If I try to straighten it out I might just not have enough yarn  (I know this is counter intuitive, but I tried it both ways and find the ridges work better for the way I knit.)  Thus I avoided the whole Russian knot experience to lengthen the fringe, because as you know tying a knot would not be an option on fringe or ever, but especially fringe.  Having said all of this, I do recommend straightening pre-knit yarn because under almost every other situation you'll be more satisfied you did.

So here's the scarf again about 50% complete.




It now sports no obvious mistakes, at least to me, and really, this is all about suiting me.  Karen may have been quite contend with the previous version, but then she'll never know about it.  I have had to take segments out, redo them, take them out again and so on, but in the end I think all mistakes have been found and fixed.  Within another week or so the entire enterprise should be complete and another WIP off the list!   The bad news about this is the wallflower will be the only major thing left on that list and that means it won't be easily avoided.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4