Skip to main content

Knitting at the Beach

Vancouver is especially gorgeous this time of year.  The skies clear, the rains stop, the sun shines and everything bursts into its early summer greenery.  This weekend was a time to get outside and enjoy that scenery.  Of course the annual cleaning of the deck and washing of windows had to be done first.  We are work first, play second type of people most of the time.  Luckily we both agree on this approach to life.

We have lived in the same place for almost 9 years and during that time have done little to investigate the Burrard Inlet that we overlook.  (What is it about not taking time to look at your own home territory.  It seems I tend to look for exciting things to do at home only when there are guests to show around.  For example, last summer I discovered a park where John Muir's home was located before he started walking around the U.S. to find Yosemite and create the Sierra Club.  It was merely 20 minutes from the farm I grew up on in Wisconsin. [ BTW, it was a lovely location on a beautiful small lake.  It was easy to see why he developed such an interest in nature.])  So this weekend we decided to change that lack of information about our immediate surroundings.  With less than a 5 minutes' drive from home there is a marina and park that we pass on the highway.  We have whizzed by them and never stopped to investigate; finally, on this lovely weekend we decided to stop in at both.

The marina is strikingly big once we got up close.  There are hundreds of sailboats and speedboats moored there.  It appears there might actually be some people living on their boats as well.  I wouldn't have guessed that.  Since the weather was so nice it was humming with activity so after a quick drive through we decided to get out of everyone's way and move on to the park.

I find our local beach parks very similar.  There is always a shortage of picnic tables, plenty of shade and sun, a clean, sandy beach and a pier for fishing.  (You can see the pier on the photo below jutting into the inlet.)  We visited on Saturday thinking Sunday being Mother's Day would be crowded.  Much to our surprise the place, or at least the parking lot, was busier than we anticipated.  Considering it was about 70 degree F or about 20 C with a decent breeze off the water we thought people might not be out as much as they were; we were wrong.   It was the first weekend when the weather fully cooperated so people were out.  So with a healthy lunch and our sling-backed chairs we sat in the sun watching people, boats, ships, and barges passing by.  It was very relaxing.


Me Knitting at Barnett Marine Park
 As is our habit, Paul brought lots of reading material and it will come as no surprise, I brought a knitting project.  Here I am casting on the second Gramps (girl's) sweater.  Once I got the whole thing set up I could pay closer attention to what was happening around me rather than just looking down.  Look at that lovely view.  It was great to be able to relax in the sun, doing something I love and actually getting out of the house!

This is what I was able to accomplish while enjoying the afternoon at the beach.


Gramps version 2.0 with the heather pink in waiting.

I've said this before and will more than likely say it again, thanks Vancouver weather, it was a great day to clean and get out and enjoy myself.

Oh, in case you wondered, I was remembered for Mother's Day by my sons and their wives.  Here's a closeup of the huge bouquet I received from the four of them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4