Skip to main content

Waiting for Rain - Part I

What it is March 1, 2017 already!  Boy time does fly when one is having fun, and by fun I mean applying for Canadian Pension Plan and Social Security (arrrgh) plus preparing for my 2016 taxes for two countries (double arrrgh).  Then there was a trip to Los Angeles and a cruise from there to three ports of call along the Pacific coast of Mexico (yeah).  Finally those kittens, Mike and Mara aka M&M, fill up tons of time. (photos of them later, they are growing)  But that's not to say knitting hasn't been taking place while I have been away.

For example, I have been working on a shawl designed by Sylvia McFadden called Waiting for Rain.  There is a personal story behind this selection, with three related segments.

Photo by Softsweater Knit

When I returned from Minneapolis in December my friend, Jami, had purchased a shawl pattern book for me, Shawl Joy.  The book includes patterns to make six different shaped shawls, including triangular, circular and square.   Some use worsted and aran weight yarn, some use lace and fingering yarn so there was plenty of opportunity to clear my stash, one of my goals for 2017.  It was the perfect gift, thanks again Jami.

Jami teaches writing among other things and the introduction to the book was so well written I suspected the author, Sylvia McFadden, had been a student of Jami's.  On that count I was wrong; Jami selected it because Sylvia is a local designer and the shawls were pretty.  She was right on both counts.

At the end of 2016, Ravelry, the online community for knitters mentioned here often, announced the most sold pattern for year.  That pattern was Waiting for Rain!  Here's what the designer said about the design.

This striking shawl features a unique short row/lace combination that hadn't ever been seen on Ravelry before.  The outpouring of love and support for that pattern has been the most heartwarming response to my creative work, and I am forever grateful.

To date nearly 2,500 projects using this pattern have been posted on Ravelry, leaving those of us who are more voyeuristic out of the count.  Once I put that information together with Shawl Joy I knew Waiting for Rain would be the first in the book for me to make.

In January the itch to take a class at my LYS needed to be scratched.  Lo and behold they were holding a class lead by Sylvia McFadden helping us knit Waiting for Rain.  It would be fun to take the class from the designer who sold the most patterns on Ravelry last year.  Questions about what that was like could be answered.   I signed up and scoured the stash for just the right combination.  Oh, I forgot to mention, I intended to make the short-rows of lace in a different colour, something like this:

Photo by rishnna on Ravelry

For clarification the pinkish colours are the short rows done all the way across the shawl.  There was a pattern, a plan and a yarn idea.  I was ready for the class.  More in Part II.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4