Skip to main content

Jelly Yarn

I am always on the look for new knitting items. They might not be new in terms of just introduced to the public, but they are something I either have never heard about or used.  Jelly Yarn fits this category so let me share details with you just in case it is new to you as well.
Some of the vibrant colours of Jelly Yarn
Jelly Yarns appears to have been around since 2007 created by a company called Yummy Yarns.   The ¨yarn¨ is made with 100% vinyl and is a cord rather than a plied yarn.  It comes in bright colours and some actually glow in the dark.

The yarn was developed to knit a patent leather purse and because the yarn is vinyl, it is waterproof.  This I suspect does not make it suitable for making wardrobe items so it is used for accessories like:  purses, handbags, beach bags, belts, bracelets, ornaments, hair accessories, toys, and coral reef projects.  Ravelry has 90 items made with Jelly Yarn; check them out here.  One of the more beautiful applications I found are these:
Crocheted snowflakes by Snowcatcher 
According to a a group from Indianapolis, Indiana called Naughty Knitterz, there are several things to keep in mind if a knitter is going to use this product.

The best knit stitch for creating a flat texture in Jelly Yarn is the Knit Through the Back Loop stitch. 
Metal needles are recommended when working with Jelly Yarn. (I suspect the yarn would stick to bamboo, plastic or wooden needles.)
To make your knit fabric more durable, carry along a strand of Fine Jelly Yarn with your fiber yarn.  (It comes in both fine and bulky weight, perhaps the fine weight will help the durability of hand knitted sock heels.)
If your tension is too tight, your stitches may not slide on the metal needle easily. To help make the stitches glide easily, we recommend using a little hand lotion applied along the stitches on the needle.  (Hmm, not something one does with wool.)
Knitting with Jelly Yarn is a little different then fiber yarn. Instead of weaving ends, make a double knot (square knot) to prevent the stitches from unraveling after the 1st cast on stitch, when joining yarns and, after binding off.
Jelly Yarn is easy to block.  Heat the piece, with a hair dryer on low, for a few seconds. Place the piece on a flat hard surface and make the sides even. Tape the edges of the piece to the surface (optional). Place a weight such as a dictionary or phone book on top overnight. Assemble as instructed in the pattern.
Using hand lotion on the stitches is counter intuitive to me, but I have knit with plastic bags in the past and know how challenging it can be.  Maybe lotion helps.

See that honey-brown coloured Jelly Yarn in the background of the first photo?  I have been looking for just the right thing/yarn to knit syrup for knit pancakes or waffles for at least a couple of years.  Jelly Yarn in that colour seems to be just what I am looking for, so I am about to order it.  This act means my resolution to make no yarn purchases in 2015 has already been broken, only 11 days into the year.  Oh well. . . . who was I kidding with that resolution?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4