Skip to main content

A Long Haul

Well, in two weeks I have managed to cover 2,600 miles or approximately 4,200 kilometers.  The trip across the Western part of the U.S. to the Midwest was smooth and uneventful.  That means there were no traffic problems, no car problems and no hotel surprises.  Montana and North Dakota are big states with sparse populations so meals and gas stops had to be coordinated.  Other than that it was an enjoyable trip.

First there was the scorching 95 degree F or 31 degrees C driving through Spokane, Washington and on through the Rockies into Montana.  Apparently I was too busy driving to snap any photos of the Rockies, you'll just have to take my word for it, I did cross them.

Saying goodbye to the Cascades of the Pacific Northwest.

Saying hello to the very hot and eastern part of Washington State near Spokane.

In both Montana and North Dakota the speed limit is 75 mph or 121 kph.  Can't say the last time I spent hours driving that fast, but the adjustment came pretty quickly since during my younger days I was known to have a "lead foot."

Here are a few photos I took out of the car as I was driving and then edited.   Full disclosure here, all the photos in this post except for Miss M were taken as I drove.  Hey a girl has to do something to entertain herself hour after hour and I have to say the photos aren't too bad considering the speed and the fact it was an iPhone.  (All were cropped to cut off the sides of the roads, dashboard and hood of the car and to straighten out the horizon, though.)

The foothills on the east side of the Rockies.

The Big Sky of Montana with a rain storm rolling in.

I stopped by a couple of homes where I used to live in North Dakota and Minnesota.  To say both had changed would be a gross understatement.  It took 30 minutes of driving around to find one because the bucolic rural setting I left (albeit 20 years ago) had turned into part of the city.  The other, newer home, had the siding changed to the extent I scarcely recognized it.  The adage is one shouldn't go back because disappointment is certain.  I was not disappointed but instead surprised in both cases.

The tree shading the house; I was a part of planting it in 1978.  Both sons grew up in this house.

That's three colours of siding; I'm not a fan
I arrived in Minneapolis just in time to offer a wee bit of help as family began to show up for Miss M's baptism.  It was a contemporary service with music specifically selected by her musical grandfather.   And she was a perfect lady throughout the entire day.

A special dress made by another grandmother.   It was perfect too.

My parents stayed with me for a few days in the condo and then we drove to the farm.  While there I got to see with both my brothers and their families.  In addition I picked up some bowls and other dining accessories my parents had stored for me that once belonged to my maternal grandmother.  Many of these items are now proudly displayed in the condo kitchen.  Those not showing will come in very handy and my Grandmother will be remembered as they are used.

Condo photos will follow.  Again you'll just have to trust a whole lot of "stuff" has been moved in, but it isn't ready yet for the reveal.

As for knitting, very, very little has been done.  There has been almost no free time it seems.  Another illusion to this point seems to have been shattered.  Retirement so far has not been that relaxing time I expected it to be; rather to this point it has been more busy than working.  I am not complaining one bit though; being close to family and friends has been great after spending so many years away.

Do stay tuned, though, I am quite sure the knitting will be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4