Skip to main content

Yarn Usage I: Crochet vs Knit

There is a rivalry between those who knit and those who crochet.  It seems those who only crochet resent the fact so much is written, posted, and available about knitting with so little for a crocheter.  Should you search for classes you'll almost universally find the lion's share of the classes offered are for knitters.  If one wants to start a yarn fight, initiate a conversation in your LYS about how superior knitting is to crocheting.  The yarn will fly.

Top all this off by throwing out the old adage that crocheting a project will take at least one-third or I've seen up to three times more yarn than knitting a similar item, and it is easy to see why those who crochet feel a bit like yarn victims.  I am primarily a knitter but do crochet simple things.  My skills in crocheting are rudimentary at best, I can do the stitches because I love to make amigurumi stuffed toys, but I am no expert crocheter but rather a get-it-done kind.   Therefore my opinion about crocheting vs knitting is lop-sighted.   Having said all this from my POV crocheting allows for easier shape making.  For example, one can add turns and twists to an item with a lot less concentration when crocheting.  I am very happy to have this skill in my yarn toolbox.

My Crochet Mobieus scarf/shawl at its start
As you know I'm in a crochet mode lately because of the Churchmouse Crochet Mobieus.   I thought I'd investigate the question of whether a finished project crocheted versus the same finished project knitted took that one-third or more yarn to complete.   Some field work has to be done in order to test this hypothesis:  Does a knitted 6.25 inch or 15.875 cm square take less yarn to create than the same sized square crocheted?

The same sized yarn will be used for all projects, a worsted weight acrylic.  (A simple swatch is being made so there was no need to use expensive wool.)  According to my needle guide, a pair of 8 or 5 mm knitting needles are exactly the same size as an H or 5 mm crochet hook.  I think four swatches need to be prepared.  For the knit swatches one will be done in the garter stitch and the other in a stockinette stitch.  Again the rule of thumb is that the garter stitch should take more yarn to knit than the stockinette stitches (so hey while I'm doing this I might as well test another theory as well).  A single crochet will be used to create the crocheted swatch and another swatch done in double crochet.  Thus the size of the swatch, the weight of the yarn, the size of the needle or hook and the stitch styles are controlled and all done by one crafter, me.

Kim Werker, writing for Knitting Daily had this to say about the differences I'm testing.  ". . . the crochet swatch will be thicker than the knit swatch. That's because a crochet stitch is essentially a tube, while stockinette stitch can lay pretty much flat."  However, the double crochet swatch should be less thick I think, we'll see.

Both crocheting and knitting involve manipulating loops of yarn. With knitting, the loops build on each other in a way that requires multiple active loops held on the needles.  In crocheting there is only one active loop held on the hook.  Let me try to show you how the two processes work with diagrams.  First the knit stitch:

Knitting a stitch 
As you can see above, a single strand of yarn is looped around the needle between the two parts of the active stitch.  Then that active stitch is dropped thus linking the two loops together.  If a stitch is dropped off the needle and not recovered there is a possibility an entire vertical column could unravel.

Now take a look at how a single crochet stitch is made:

The making of a single crochet stitch
There is only one active stitch.  You can see it on the far right of the hook in the diagram above.  It is the yarn over from making the previous stitch.  The hook is inserted into the next stitch below to make another  loop.  Then the yarn is captured by the end of the hook (called a yarn over in crochet) and pulled through the two loops on the hook, creating a new single loop on the hook.  Should a stitch be dropped only one stitch will be lost, unlike knitting.  By closely examining the two diagrams one can tell that the crochet stitch is more dense or thicker than the knitted work.  That denseness will more than likely use more yarn, but hold on I'm getting ahead of myself.  

Now let me show you the swathes I prepared so far:

The bottom swatch is the knit garter and on top the single crochet swatch

Stay tuned.  The other two swatches need to be completed and measurements need to be made.  Research takes some time and effort.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4