Skip to main content

Crocheted Nails

When your nails look like this you might want to improve their look.  Granted I just clipped them this weekend, but they look pretty rough right now.



Sure I could go to a nail salon and get a gel manicure, but that solution seems to be a gift that keeps on giving to the salon.  My nails in the past using this solution have become thin from the grinding, the UV light to dry the polish can cause problems, and like all polish it does chip and need professional repair (my personal experience would lead me to say gel nails aren't easily repaired at home) and have I mentioned the expense, oh they are expensive as well.

So you can imagine how I reacted to the photo below; I have the ability to crochet, perhaps not this well, but I had to find the story behind the photo.


Hooklook from Paris, France offers up a unique solution to nail problems.  I could have her crochet a set of nails that would adhere to my own nails with the adhesive she includes in the kit.   I particularly love the fact that she's used a simple crocheted granny squares design and what appears to be equally simple crochet thread to make them. Instead of adding all the different colours you see below, Hooklook uses just one colour for her nails, see how the bright red nails above look like miniature versions the squares in the afghan below?


Here's another style she made that are meant to look like a French manicure.


I know many of the photos I paste here are small so if you really want to see how these nails look click here.  And should you want to purchase a set for yourself go to Hooklook's Etsy shop here.

I wonder what she puts on them to keep them stiff and if they are waterproof.  I won't be making a $30+ purchase but if any of you do purchase a set, let me know.  I am curious.










Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...