Skip to main content

Debbie Macomber

I cannot believe I have not yet written about Debbie Macomber, until now.  She writes romance novels and contemporary women's fiction.  Macomber’s books are sensual and sensitive with wholesome qualities. She avoids all the details and descriptions of a book like 50 Shades of Grey.  If you check out her bibliography you will find more than 170 titles to her name.  Plus she has been #1 on the New York Times Bestsellers’ list several times and recently was awarded the Romance Writers of America lifetime achievement award as well.  Additionally four of her stories have been made into Hallmark Channel TV productions, most shot right here in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Debbie and a few of her books

I most like the Blossom Street series because of the focus on knitting and a particular yarn shop.  The name of the shop is A Good Yarn and it’s owned by Lydia Hoffman, a young woman who has survived cancer.  Her dream upon recovery was to open a yarn shop in Seattle, Washington.  The shop represents  independence and freedom to start life anew since most of her teens and early adulthood were filled with battling cancer.

Lydia teaches knitting to beginners as a way to start attracting customers to her shop.  The first class is called "How to Make a Baby Blanket."  Since the store has barely opened only three women join the class.  Jacqueline Donovan, a woman of some means, wants to knit something for her first grandchild as a gesture of reconciliation with her daughter-in-law.  Carol Girard feels that by knitting the baby blanket she’s sending and receiving a message of hope as she makes a final attempt to conceive.   And Alix Townsend, a young woman who appears tough on the outside, but has a heart of gold, is knitting her blanket for a court-ordered community service project.  These four very different women, brought together by knitting, make unexpected discoveries--about themselves and each other, discoveries that lead to friendship.  The rest of the books in the series look into the individual lives of each of these characters after this first fateful class.
   
Even the toughest of critics for this type of traditional romantic novel find themselves riveted because Macomber has a very pleasant way of telling a story.  Most traditional romantic novels follow a rather formulaic outline: there is an attraction between people, followed by times of misunderstanding and rough patches, but finally all ends well.  If you want a truly mindless and yet intriguing read, pick up one of these books.  You'll feel good after reading it.  My Mom was the one who got me hooked on Debbie Macomber books, so you know they are pretty safe reading.

Macomber states she started writing in order to support her yarn habit.  (She had a rocky start in writing, click here, if you are interested in that part of her story.)  And since she's so fond of yarn she decided to open her own yarn shop in Port Orchard, Washington, her home town.  Of course the shop is called A Good Yarn.  And since she now lives six months each year in Florida and the remaining in Port Orchard, her involvement in the shop is limited.
Port Orchard, Washington, the red splotch on the left 

Paul and I are planning a short trip to the Olympic Peninsula of Washington this fall, and Port Orchard will be one of the small towns we’ll be travelling through as we make our way to the Olympic National Park.

Since Port Orchard and Port Townsend are two places we fully intend to investigate, I think I'll be able to stop by A Good Yarn and Thomson Art Forms. I haven't exactly mentioned this to Paul, but it shouldn't be a problem.  What I like about most yarn shops is they take you to the heart of a small town where the rent is reasonable.  I hope that is the case for both of these locations as well.

A Good Yarn is located in this building
I love it when I can, not only vacation, but also add yarn to the mix.  It is the perfect combination.  Who knows, maybe Debbie Macomber will be in town and at the shop when I visit.  Or at least I can hope for that to be true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4