Skip to main content

Nexus and Knitting

This is a second Sunnyside Tenacity Baby Cardigan.   (If you need to know the background about this name change, click on the link.)

Sunnyside Baby Cardigan v.2
The first attempt is not yet finished for a reason.  As I neared completing it, it became clear the first version would not fit a 6-12 month old baby, it was far too small for that age.  In my own defense, there was no gauge given in the instructions (a free pattern sometimes leaves a few details out).  It simply called for sock weight yarn and that's what I used.  However, my sock yarn apparently wasn't as thick as the yarn used by the designer.  So Dack and Nicole will get that attempt and will have a newborn-sized sweater for their upcoming newborn.  After all the tenacity I put into that first attempt, I was determined to turn this lemon into lemonade.  You'll see it when it is done.

With newly acquired information about gauge I started another Sunnyside (I can call it that for this second sweater because the very first attempt was all it took this time around).  I doubled the yarn using the original heather bluish gray with an equally heathered soft millet yellow wool/acrylic sock yarn with a tiny gold thread running through it.  This combination seemed very calming to me and then I looked out the window at the Burrard Inlet in the sun.  The ocean water there becomes blue-gray in colour as the sun shines on it and there are wisps of yellow/gold and a degree of shininess as well.  I use this view to relax after a busy day at work, why not take advantage of that calming effect for a baby?

My colour inspiration for this sweater from the Burrard Inlet

So I moved forward on the second sweater and have made good progress.

A closeup of the cables next to the front closures
Yesterday I took the day off from work to renew my Nexus card.  The Nexus card is designed for a frequent/trusted traveler who crosses the U.S./Canadian border often.  Having this card allows the holder to avoid long lines at the border because instead of the usual 60-120 seconds it takes per auto in the regular lines to be interviewed in order to cross the border; Nexus card holders can complete this interview in 6-10 seconds.  That doesn't seem like much time difference unless there are hundreds of cars lined up in front of you.  Nexus card holders are allowed to use a special lane at the border thus using the card is generally a real time saver.  Spending an hour or two or three waiting to cross the border isn't time well spent, at least from my point of view.

A sample Nexus card
So yesterday I traveled to Blaine, Washington to renew my own Nexus card.  Officials need to see you face-to-face not only to photograph you but also to make sure you are the person who submitted all the paperwork and deserve the renewed card.  All this required crossing the border twice without the benefit of the Nexus card because my old one had expired.  Driving south took just under 60 minutes to crawl along,   Truth be told, I was able to knit on Sunnyside along the way.  Moving forward one car length at a time doesn't require total concentration on traffic, but I don't know if an officer had stopped me whether that argument would have held up.

When I got to the office, (which was NOT BTW located at the address printed on the official letter I received) like so many governmental agencies, I was given an opportunity to wait, and wait, well you know what I'm talking about.  Again, this was found time to knit.  Everyone around me should have been thankful I brought Sunnyside.  Without it odds are I could have been rather impatient and perhaps wouldn't have kept that degree of impatience to myself.  With the knitting I was a happy camper because, at least in my mind, something was getting done during all this wait time.

Before I left yesterday the body of the new Sunnyside was almost done except for finishing the bottom hem with garter stitches.  As you can see from the top photo, not only did I get  the hem completed but also the left sleeve.  It will be a piece of cake to finish the second sleeve this weekend, add some perfect yellow buttons, wash, block and dry the sweater.  I can see it will be done on time!

So yes, even though I spent yesterday mired in border crossings and working through a governmental bureaucracy, I was quite content about it all.  That's the power of knitting for me; it has a calming effect (even if I'm working on the Sunnyside Tenacity Baby Cardigan.)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4