Skip to main content

Elf Shoes and Hat Revealed

Remember the elf shoes and the discussion about the hat that went with it?  If not here is a link to the original post about the shoes.  Thursday was the day these items were worn for a Xmas party.

Mrs. Santa, an Elf and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer 
I have chosen to share this photo because one of my co-conspirators, Rudolph, as well as the Elf himself are included.  (Sorry Mrs. Santa, you were great but not a part of this post.)  Rudolph approved of the elf shoes and hat styles plus financed the entire enterprise.  A coworker and I merely supplied the labour.

It is hard to see in the photo, but the elf shoes have small bells attached to each of the diamonds on both the shoes and hat so Elf did jingle although it was a bit hard to hear over the din of the crowd.  There were also non-skid caulk on the bottom of the shoes; we didn't want any accidents.

Sole of the elf shoes to make sure the Elf didn't slip
Some items are meant to have a long life, the elf shoes and hat were meant to entertain for about two hours.  They have served their purpose and will now go into hibernation.  I have to admit the fun for me is in the making and thus I got the most from this project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...