Skip to main content

Knitting for Movies

I never really thought about it, but handmade knitted items could be a hot item in movies and especially so if the movie is set in the past.  So imagine my happiness when I found out that War Horse actually hired someone in England to knit the scarves, mittens, and sweaters for the German army.  All those extras got to wear handmade/homemade knitwear from the needles of one Mrs. Jane Whatley from Send, UK.

An Army from War Horse
Check out her story here.  As you read the article you'll see how Jane got into the business of knitting for movies. Of course, it is not a full-time job but it appears when the request comes in, knitting becomes more than full-time work to complete the projects on time.

The most devastating thing about this story to me is that even Jane didn't recognize her own work in the movie.  All except one sweater were "weathered" (aka, dropped in the mud and/or tattered) to make them look like the German soliders were actually fighting in WWI.  Should you go see this movie be sure to keep an eye out for the knitwear.  (I haven't decided if I will actually go see it or not.  These types of story generally cause me sleepless nights rather than entertain me.)

Maybe someday I'll knit for movies, or maybe I can just dream about it.  It would to fun to see my work up on the big screen, even if I don't recognize my work as the project I finished.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...