Skip to main content

Grocery Girls

So I am going to put the blame about my watching the Grocery Girls squarely on my oldest son and his wife or better yet, their dogs.  Here's how it happened.

There aren't many things I can do to help either of my sons or their respective wives because they are all quite self-sufficient.   But dog sitting is something I am asked to do from time to time for my oldest and his wife; in fact, I spent two occasions watching their beagles this summer.  The girl dogs, Sticky and Gussy, have been rescued from puppy mills because they had grown too old to breed.  These two are now something like 9 or 10 years old, meaning they really don't require much.  If I feed them twice daily and let them out in the morning and walk them in the evening, and give them some attention during the day, they are very happy.  This means I am not very busy as I dog-sit.

My on-again off-again wards in their usual mode.  Sticky is on the left, Gussy, the right.

This son does own a television set, but it has no antenna, making getting any signal difficult at best and generally, impossible.  He and his wife, if and when they do watch TV, use Netflix or YouTube to get content.  So when I am there I am left to do the same.

That is how I was driven to find something of interest to me.  While noodling around I found the Grocery Girls knitting podcast.  The Grocery Girls are sisters, Jodi and Tracie, who work by day in the family IGA grocery store located in Edmonton, Alberta, and knit, crochet and sew by night.  Both are busy moms of teenagers and young adult children.  I found them in August when Craftsy sent me a Facebook message about these two doing a podcast for Craftsy called Off the Needles.  I watched a couple of those podcasts and then started looking into the duo to learn more about them.

The Grocery Girls, Jodi on the left and Tracie on the right.  (photo from GG FB page)
Grocery Girls works because Jodi and Tracie are so comfortable with each others, as one would expect from sisters.  Tracie, the older of the two, is the more experienced knitter.  She loves gray and pink colours and uses a lot of cashmere blend yarns in whatever she is knitting.  Jodi, the younger, came to knitting in the last couple of years, but has really taken to it.  Splatter or speckled print yarns and anything that sparkles gets her attention. She also displays items she has crocheted like baskets or slippers as well as knitting totes she sews.  Her Etsy shop, Mrs. Brown Bags, can give you a sense of her sewing skills.

For me their podcasts feels like a knit night with friends.  These two will talk about basically anything, at times getting downright X-rated (Pam, Tena, Dana, Susan and I have never gone that far.)   But their humour is what sucked me in; they are constantly cracking up one another.  Craftsy has tamped down much of that in Off the Needles, Craftsy also holds the sisters to a 30 minute time frame.  On Grocery Girls the podcasts can run as long as two hours but are generally somewhere between an hour to an hour and one-half long.  That makes them perfect for knitting.
Yes, they tape in Tracie's kitchen and sometimes show up in their pink or gray pajamas.  (Photo from GG FB page)

Tracie and Jodi talk about Canadian designers, but they also have introduced me to Canadian wool, and Canadian yarny events.  In fact, they will be at Knit City (a local yarn event in Vancouver) September 30 and October 1 at the PNE).  I plan to stop by and who knows, I might show up in their next podcast!

Check out this blog post by Rena Kilganon where she talks how the GG podcasts have impacted her knitting in eight ways.  I find the podcasts have caused a similar if not quite so profound reaction for me. Jodi and Tracie do inspire me and have introduced me to some new things in knitting.  But as Rena says, their enthusiasm about the knitting process is so infectious one can't help but get excited again.

If you are nuts about all things woolly, check out the Grocery Girls on Youtube.  They posted their 46th episode last week.  If you too get addicted to them, blame it on the dogs or the lack of proper TV; these excuses have worked for me.  Just don't hold me responsible because you have been warned, these podcasts are habit forming.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4