Skip to main content

Heading Out

I have planned to return to Minneapolis for months on September 13 full well knowing the odds were good Miss A would already have arrived.  What I didn't anticipate was the overwhelming need to get there as soon as possible to see her now that I know she has arrived.  I guess I thought I could be more mature or patient; apparently I am neither.

Before I head out I thought I'd update you on the beading going on and offer a quick explanation for the lack of knitting.  It is that poor arthritic left thumb.  It seems to have been throbbing more as I knit so there was a break taken, an almost four week break, so far.  An entire month of not knitting is quite remarkable for me, but it has been good to the thumb.  I believe I will be able to get back to knitting again sometime soon, but it will need to be more moderated with nice long breaks, probably all things that should have been done in the past anyway.

As for beading, it is much more gentle on the thumb.  Thus it appears I am obsessing over it and perhaps I am.  Here's the latest beading.



Both are Sleek bracelets designed by Jill Wiseman;  one is tapered and the other not both are in darker tone than the Wiseman design.





The black bugle beads in the straight wrist candy really sets off the other beads.  And the yet unfinished  tapered smoky blue one is more than likely one I will keep for myself.  It contains all my favorite colours.  Both use the same blue/black/gold Delica beads in the center.  And note, not one thread is showing on these closeups (Ok there is the thread on the incomplete bracelet, but that doesn't count).  It is true in this case, practice certainly improves the skill.

 Want to see what I am thinking about tackling next?


It is called the Wings and Waves bracelet and uses macrame knots with a handful of beads and pearls.  In white like pictured above, it would be beautiful for a wedding, in black it makes a perfect evening bracelet.  Want more info?  Click here.

Don't worry there will be additional baby pics, I just have to get there to take them.  It is exciting to be heading out so soon.  Hang on baby girl, another grandma is on her way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...