Skip to main content

And there were Socks

How about the socks made in the last couple of months?  I am sure it is a question you have been wanting a couple of months to be answered.

The pair of Carnival socks are complete.  You first saw them in late March and they were finished in April.  The yarn is a superwash, Nova Plus Sock in colour 529 -- Carnival.  Prepare your eyes, that swirl of colours can almost make you dizzy.

I know, what a crazy shot.  I was going for something different; perhaps I won on that count but failed in creating a decent picture.
Another pair was manufactured, if you will, in May.  This superwash German yarn is made by Lana Grossa and the colourway is simply #1610 but is called meilenweit, which translates to "for miles".  And if you compare the number of colour changes above in Carnival to #1610 below you will see the colours in the variegation do go on for miles.  (Or maybe they just mean the socks hold up for miles.)  Despite the long lengths of colour I was able to make another maternal pair of socks with yarn to spare.  This pair is meant to fit a smaller woman's foot, meaning they were a faster knit.



Finally I am currently working on a superwash Madeline Tosh sock yarn in the colourway Hickory.  This is a man's pair so the ribbing and foot sections of the socks are longer by almost 2 inches in both places.  So far I have much of the first sock done.  If I wish to keep pace this particular pair should be complete before July 1 but a small obstacle has occurred.

Once I am working the foot of  a sock it seems almost complete, it least to me.

,
The needles are about the same size as the point of a ball point pen.
The size of the sock needles is rather small and apparently I use quite a grip on especially the left needle causing some arthritic pain around the left thumb.  The doctor suggests I take up crocheting for the time being, in jest, but what we agreed to is my cutting back on the tiny needle knitting.   Bigger needles and spending much less time knitting all together seems to have helped relieve most of the annoying ache.  Yes, I am being careful because I do want to continue to knit.  (So perhaps there was another reason for getting back to blogging, you might think!  And you might be right.)

As for the Hickory pair of socks, I don't expect they will be done by July 1 which would keep me at my one-per-month pace.  And this doesn't bother me one bit because the nice thing about these self-imposed deadlines, should you miss the mark, no one is the wiser.  Well, except now you are, but I don't think you are too troubled by that development.

There you have it, all the sock news from this blogger for the time being.  Tomorrow you will meet the singles created lately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4