Skip to main content

A New Normal




I have returned to Greater Vancouver but a few thoughts about the farm.  There was a very sleepless night for me the evening before I left with thoughts of Dad, concerns for Mom and just a general unsettled feeling about leaving.  One of my brothers took me to the airport and we talked about thinking we are OK and then something, an item or a person, can cause grief to hit again.  We know it is far too soon to think we are done grieving, but there must be something in our natures to make us want it to move along more quickly.  It is nice to know I am not alone in this.  I see evidence from my brothers, sons and Mom that we are all at about the same point.

Speaking of her, Mom had asked me to stay through New Year and I stayed beyond it a few days.  Those few days were pretty productive for both of us.  I could tell she was ready to be alone by the time I left.  She was knitting (always a sign of general stable mental and physical health) and wanting to get to the library to pick up some books (another good sign).  Mom and I could sit together for hours and really say very little to one another.  Just being together was enough for both of us. 

And as much as I seemed to resent it when I was younger, I can now proudly say I am very much like Mom.  We both have a strong constitution, an ability to care for ourselves as well as others and a strong need to be in charge and independent.  I now see how good these qualities are to have as one ages.  Mom will be fine on her own, I know.  She will adjust.

Since I declared 2016 the year of the sock for me, Mom decided to look into her yarn stash to see if she had any sock yarn to give me.  We joked about the fact that I have quite a stash of my own to work through, but nonetheless she gave me the following yarn with the proviso I not make any socks for her because she wouldn´t wear them.  Some of the partially used skeins will be used to knit children's socks.  They are all superwash meaning they don't have to be hand washed and air dried, a good thing when giving items to those not accustomed to hand washing.



Back with Paul and Mike, the cat, I can feel the rhythm of my life returning.  And although it might be beating with one less note, the sound of that rhythm is mighty fine to my ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...