Skip to main content

Yarn Diet

Yesterday in class someone mentioned they knew a person who put herself on a yarn diet and that the dieter had lost about 200 pounds of yarn!  I like the idea of cutting back on a stash as a diet and want to tell you about my own yarn diet of 2015.

In March of this year I gorged on yarn in Portland at the Rose City Yarn Crawl.  There were skeins and skeins of yarn on sale far too many of which I had to own.  (Read more about that adventure here and here.)  I was embarrassed enough about the amount of yarn purchased I chose not to show it on the blog.  When I started to put that yarn indulgence away in my stash I found the cubes in my bookshelf stash container were overflowing.  You know that feeling when nothing fits anymore and you either have to lose weight or admit it is time to move to the next size.  Well, my stash takes up all the space I have in my office so it was time for a strict yarn diet.

And I have to say from March through September I was good, in fact very good.  Ok perhaps a skein or two was allowed, but only if it were to be used on something in process.  And then the spinning class started and things changed.

Now it isn´t that I am actually purchasing yarn, but I need to buy roving.   Roving is the long and rather narrow bundles of fiber prepared in such a way it is ready to spin.  Here´s another look at my Stormy Night roving (this was given to us in class).

An example of roving
A spinner takes fiber directly from the roving and attaches it to the wheel.  If you don´t have roving available you don´t spin, but I need to spin to learn.  Therefore I had to purchase roving.  Now to my credit except for the pound of natural brown Shetland roving I purchased, every other roving has been spun.  And what is the end product of spinning?  Well yes, it is yarn.

To add to the roving accumulation, last week Tena and I ventured to Abbotsford to visit Birkeland Brothers Wool.   It is a local wool business that has been around since 1939 and it owns one of the oldest carding machines in the region.   This store focuses on roving and selling spinning wheels, so it was a great trip for me and my interests.  Tena was a good sport to come along as company for the approximate one hour drive each way.  I did test drive a type of wheel that I actually liked very much, but the big purchase of the day was roving.

Perendale roving
Perendale is a breed of sheep that produces both good meat and good wool for spinning.   This roving is particularly soft and affordable.  Tena said I had to make something that will get close to my face as the blue matches my eyes.  Since there are 100 gm or about .22 lb of roving, I should be able to create quite a nice scarf out of it.  (Obviously this roving has been dyed.)

Yak and Camel roving
The 50% Yak and 50% Camel just screamed at me.  I like exotic (OK you might say weird) fibers.  The possum yarn still lingers in my memory.  At any rate there is only 25 gm or .9 oz of this roving.  Both fibers are collected from the animals without shearing.  The yak fiber is removed by a processed referred to as rooing (by hand).  Here´s a 2-minute video showing how this is done.  The camel fiber is shed or molted.  Both fibers are combined into a very soft roving.  This will be spun into something special.  At the moment I have a vague idea about what it needs to become.  More will be shared about it as the idea develops.

So the yarn diet of 2015 is being busted.  It seems as if a few extra special yarns are sneaking into the stash, but I think these few extra grams/pounds of wool will be good for my overall creative well being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4