Skip to main content

Mike Made Me Do It

Mike is my 17 year old pure bred Tonkinese cat, for those of you who are new to this blog.  (Mike is a relatively frequent contributor, BTW.)   As a cat of approximately 84 years of age in human years, he has slowed down over time.  He is most often found doing this:

This is the best way to capture an image of Mike, although not the most flattering shot of him.

Lately I have added the indignity of brushing his teeth to our daily routine together, something we didn´t do for years. His teeth have been professionally cleaned by a vet, but this process requires a general anaesthetic, a procedure very tough on a cat of Mike´s age.  So we agreed as I started this brushing that he could have more of a say about his opinions in general and on this blog more specifically as a reward for putting up with the brushing.  (My indignity I guess is that a cat gets to speak his mind.)

First a bit of background.  Mike has only known me as a knitter meaning during his entire life he has had knitting paraphernalia cluttering up his space, aka the space around me.  As a kitten he loved rolling around the balls of yarn, but as he aged he became more bothered by the small things.  A stitch marker left alone on the arm of a chair, a single page of a knitting pattern, but most of all the clicker-type stitch counter that is always within arm´s/paw´s reach.  These things must be knocked onto the floor so they are out of sight and thus out of mind for Mike.  Funny thing is he is only bothered by these things when I am in the chair; none of it is moved after I get up.  He is so subtle.  Do you think he´s trying to tell me something?

So this morning after Mike read the Lion Brand blog post written by knitter, photographer and artist, Franklin Habit entitled ¨Talk to the Paw¨ he insisted I share it with other knitters who are also cat owners.  (What, Mike, the cat, follows all things cat so of course he reads blog posts of all types.  Don´t get him started about all the cat stuff on YouTube!)   Mike believes this post will help knitters who have a cat better understand what living with them is really like for a cat.  (You can find the full article here. )  Mike wanted to make sure all readers get to the illustrations and interviews from cats across the U.S., France and England near the end of the post.  He says this type of investigative journalism is just what cats need to help explain their particular POVs.

Mike also said it was OK to add a photo of my completed Stormy Night DIY toque, but only the photo.  For more about it you´ll have to go here, here and here.  (Mike´s out for now; you can guess what he is doing after such a busy morning :-).

The light mist adds to the ethereal look of this toque



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4