Skip to main content

Give a Guy a Break

For years now I have proudly taken something I am knitting and literally shoved it into Paul´s face hoping to hear words of approval.  Every new skill whether it was knitting food, lace knitting, Fair Isle, it all was displayed for him to see and was received with very supportive responses from him.  And to his credit I always, always get something like:  ¨Nice,¨ or ¨Well done,¨ or ¨Looks lovely to me.¨

The other night, late into the evening I finished something, put it down to go to bed and then retrieved it as I realized Paul was still reading in bed.  In light so dim even I could barely recognized what I was holding there it was again, that sleepy approval of ¨Nice job.¨  It was then I realized he could not possibly see what I showed him and had probably been doing this for years perhaps feigning appreciation for my skills.  For a split second I was upset, no more like disappointed, until it occurred to me he was being a wonderful partner and not really offering a critique of what was being shown to him.  How lucky am I; he is being thoughtful, supportive and nonjudgmental about something I find so intriguing, something he knows absolutely nothing about.


Image from the Lusty Vegan

This became clearer to me as we had a long discussion the other evening about this phrase:  Sic semper tyrannis! Latin for Ever thus to tyrants!  This is what John Wilkes Booth shouted just before he shot Lincoln.  The phrase was used as a clue in a television show we were watching.  I didn´t know what was said much less what it meant or who to attribute it to, so I asked.  Not only did Paul know what the phrase meant, he linked it to John Wilkes Booth and also Julius Caesar´s assassination without looking it up.  (It is like having my own personal live Wikipedia without having to click keys.)  The question launched Paul into a discussion about Latin (something he studied in high school) and how the phrase was not only mistranslated on the show but also mispronounced.  There was discussion about why they had left the ¨to¨ out of their translation and why tyrannis should be pronounced ty ran´ nis rather than ty´ ran nis with other stuff I didn´t quite understand.  In the end, I politely thanked him for that information and ignored most of the discussion altogether because it was way beyond me.   But in the end I understood why it was so important to know what the phrase meant to the plot of the television show.  Like Paul, I was being supportive even though I knew absolutely nothing about the topic and as such could not constructively contribute to the conversation.

Then it hit me, I had just done to him what he more than likely does to me each time I proudly show off my knitting.  As he was proudly showing off his knowledge of Latin I was supportively doing la la la silently in my head because nothing was making sense to me.  How can I possibly criticize him for something I do just as frequently in other areas of our conversations.  Come on Jan, just give the guy a break.





Note to self -- Paul is as interested in my knitting skills as I am in his skills with Latin.  Just remain kind and supportive and remember there is no knitting worth showing him as he is falling asleep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4