Skip to main content

Dyeing Roving and Yarn

Tuesday was the day we set up the class room with heavy plastic to protect the table, empty plastic snack-sized fruit cup to portion out the dyes, plastic gloves to protect our hands from becoming dyed, large syringes to apply the colour, acid/protein dyes in blue, red, yellow and black, wet roving and spun yarn.  It is so simple when the instructor has the dyes already mixed and has an old rice cooker and vegetable steamer available to heat the wool so the colours sets.  Once colours were added to the yarn or roving it is steamed for 20 minutes, cooled and then rinsed until the water is clear.

The mixing of the colours on the wool was a lot of fun.  We were not being scientific in our measuring  because there was never an intention of making more than one skein.  Instead we made one of a kind colours of wool and roving.  The 2.5 hours flew right by and I came home with three very wet beauties.  They were hung in a small maple tree to dry and I took lots of lovely pictures of them floating as they floated in the sunny light breeze of Tuesday afternoon.  Unfortunately, without an SD card in one´s camera, all those lovely shots were not captured.  You´ll have to accept these pale substitute photos.

First I over dyed the pink pencil roving with blue.  But as you can see that experiment sort of worked.  My application of blue was inconsistent and I did not get the deep purple I was hoping it would be.

This colour scheme is called Purple-ish?

Second, the pink pencil roving was over dyed with patches of blue, yellow and red.  This created a sort of purple, orange and mauve-ish combination.  Again nothing was as saturated in colour as I had hoped but this did certainly create a usable yarn.  (I did spin these two.  A careful observer might note things in the spinning world are improving for me.  Well truth be told, pencil roving is incredibly easy to spin.)

This colour scheme is called Hot Mess

Finally, the best attempt.  The roving given to us to use in class was placed in a circle and colour wedges in what I hoped would be a stormy night motif were applied.  The only regret with this dying job was the green.  When it was first applied the colour was much more olive.  This roving needs to be spun and only then can I see just what it has become.  BTW it was a creamed coloured roving before the colours were added so it is clear the saturation of colours worked out much better here than in my over dyed pink yarn.

 Stormy Night

Final words about dyeing.  It was great to learn it is possible to change up yarn colours.  But the process is dangerously messy and experimental.  The reason the wet dyed wool was left outside on a tree on Tuesday afternoon had to do with the possibility there might still be a bit of dye dripping from them.  (If rinsed properly there should be no dye left in the wool, but did I mention I am a beginner?)  The dyeing part of the yarn making process won´t become a mainstay in my wool skill repertoire, but I am happy to have spent time playing around with the process.

Oh, BTW, you will see the spun Stormy Night roving results later.

Comments

  1. This post is a treasure trove for yarn enthusiasts! The DIY guide on hand dyeing yarn provides not only practical steps but also the inspiration to create unique, personalized colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4