Skip to main content

What is on My Needles

I have a case of startitist again.  All I want to do is start knitting projects and once I begin to find them tedious I start a new project.  This works great actually when one is working on projects that take only a few hours to make, like fruit.  By the time my interest begins to wane I am done.  Of course the fruit is not yet complete; there´s a pear, lemon, lime and orange yet to make.  But instead I have moved to other projects to complete with deadlines.  (I have plenty of time to get the fruit done, she says with so much confidence now.)

Photo from Camas Creek Yarns

This University of Wisconsin Bucky Badger beanie has been on my radar for over a year.  It is a must wear for any fan and since winter is beginning to make itself known, now is the time to start it, so I have.



You can see the lower half of the face shaping up and I have to admit the photo makes it look pretty fantastic.  Intarsia is used to create the face.  Since only the face of the badger is worked in white, carrying that white around the entire bean is not only a waste of the white yarn it will also make the beanie incredibly thick.  Instead, bobbins of white yarn are used to have it available when needed.  It shouldn´t be too long before Bucky is complete.  (Again where do I get all that bombastic assurance?)

Sticking with the collegiate theme, Paul so liked his ¨O¨ scarf he asked me to make another.

Photo from Camas Creek Yarns

Of course, I have started it as well.


Impressive, right?  It is just the first colour block and instead of using Fair Isle with all its floats I am using a duplicate stitch instead.  Duplicate stitching in knitting means one is embroidering over an already knit work.  IMHO, the duplicate stitch makes for a clearer and cleaner looking shape.  Here I am just starting the first of four ¨O¨´s in duplicate stitch.  The right-hand side of stitches must come out because of a counting mistake, but I take it in stride as all in a day´s work.  (BTW the pins are there to uncurl the work so you can see it.)

Oh, and because I know someone will be curious, yes those are the tiniest of clothespins purchased at a local dollar store.  I have an idea about how to use them; another unfinished idea.  They come in lots of colours, for the photo I selected the red ones to help match the scarlet of this scarlet and gray scarf.


So there you have a summary of the variety of items on my needles.  When I get bored with one I pick up another.  Nothing like giving into yourself or perhaps knowing yourself well enough to use your worst traits for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...