Skip to main content

It Happens

Sometime in mid-July I completely and thoroughly fell into a l-o-n-g stint of writer's block.  All the same daily knitting updates were being read, social media was filled with new and at least to some interesting ideas about the craft, but I didn't care.  Not that there is ever anything earth shattering written here, but at least I seem to find something to say about the most trivial of things.

Being too busy with other things could not be used as an excuse either.  I was knitting on very simple patterns that I deemed to not be worth commenting on; so like others things I do for fun, I just didn't write for almost six weeks.  And true to form, some of you concerned about me asked if I was OK either by writing, calling or e-mailing.  Thank you for your concern.  Writer's block can have a full recovery.  I think it has now passed.

I was preparing during that time to take a 14-day tour of Ireland and Scotland, taking everything I needed in one small carry-on suitcase and backpack.  More about this trip as time passes.  Suffice it to say it was beyond wonderful and somehow I managed to be there for the first 14 days all summer when it did not rain.  I know, a completely dry (as far as rain is concerned) trip to two places that truly have 40 shades of green due to plenty of rain, lucky me.

So as an appetizer for the first of many courses regarding this trip I will post this one picture from the first day in Dublin.  Although I have roughly 50 photos from that first day you get this one, which I think is the best.  You are looking at the Grand Canal on Mespil Road.  It is a canal that cuts through the city of Dublin and back in the day horses would pull the barges along the canal to move goods throughout the city.  Today the barges are self-propelled, probably only there to serve tourists, and the one I was riding on even served up a fine dinner.  It was a lovely and peaceful way to end a day that started about 8 pm on Friday evening in Chicago and ended about 8 pm Saturday in Dublin.  It took a couple of days for me to make the transition in time zones as we lost six hours flying east.  This was a moment of zen at the end of that day.






Finally since this is a knitting blog and I was in the land of sheep, how about this look on a sheep?  



This poor fellow is named Shrek, a renegade merino sheep from New Zealand.  The story goes he was not too fond of being sheared so for six years he would hide in a cave while others endured the process.  As you can see above, his wool continued to grow.  In fact it was reported after he was sheared there was enough wool to make 20 men's suits.  So from my humble point of view this story begs two questions:

1)  Do sheep really dislike shearing that much?
2)  Does sheep's wool continue to grow indefinitely?

As for the first question, Dave Thomas, head of sheep studies at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, says yes.  He states sheep enjoy shearing about as much as humans enjoy going to the dentist.  He adds, however, that as they mature sheep tend (Shrek not withstanding) to fight the process less and less accepting it as an inevitable part of being a sheep.

Thomas also states in answering the second question that domesticated sheep's wool will continue to grow, it is possible to blind them, (as you can see was the case for Shrek) or cause them to lay down and not be able to get up because of the size and weight of the wool surrounding their body.  (Shrek yielded 60 pounds of wool when an annually sheared sheep offers about 10 pounds.)  Thomas adds however that wild sheep do rid themselves of wool on their own thus NOT requiring an annual shearing.

And here's what Shrek looked like without six years' worth of wool.  It must have been quite a load off his back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4