Skip to main content

No Dinner Tonight at my Table

It is a rainy day here in Minneapolis.  The last few days have been warm, up to 90 F, approximately 30 C on Tuesday.  Plus the humidity has been relatively low with a nice breeze.  Last night as I enjoyed a concert across the street the breeze was delightfully cooling.

Knowing it would be an inside-day today, I purposefully worked to finish the Dummy Clap shawl last night.  And contrary to my custom of missing self-imposed knitting deadlines, this one was hit.  I even had time to tuck in all the tails.  It was so satisfying, but the most satisfying was dropping all those stitches.  There are 12 columns on my Dummy Clap each with approximately 3,425 stitches.  That means I got to drop over 41,000 stitches on purpose.  If you knit, you can imagine how much fun that is.  The first couple of columns were dropped individually, then I decided to do two at a time and finally three.  It seems as if my middle finger could do the most damage in dropping stitches with my index a close second.  My poor ring finger was a distant third.  It only took 15 minutes to drop 68.5 inches/174 cm in length 12 times.  BTW the shawl/scarf is 68.5 inches X 16.5 inches or 174 cm X 42 cm making it a perfect size to work as either a scarf or shaw.

Enough about that here's a couple of looks at my Dummy Clap drying after its quick bath this morning.

A close up so you can see what dropping one stitch can do

My table full of  Dummy Clap

This is a cotton/rayon blend with bamboo and acrylic threads so it will take some time to dry. But it will be lovely when it is unpinned. BTW, the light tan towel does have lines on it making straight pinning a lot less difficult to do.


Even I can get straight lines with this type of help

So no dinner tonight at my dining room table, it is too full of knitting to accommodate plates and such.

On to another matter, I have lived without a swift for too long.  A swift is a tool used to hold a hank of yarn so it can be more easily wound into a ball or cake because the swift spins.  Sure a hank can be put over the back of a chair, but the rocking back and forth motion can be tedious, especially if one is working with several hanks at a time.  So lately I have been doing some investigating and decided the type of swift shown below would take up too much space and wouldn't travel well.


Yes, the arms will collapse, but it is still big and many models do not stay clamped to the edge of a table very well.


So I purchased this instead:

A ChiaoGoo Wooden Yarn Swift
Take it out of this rather modest box and you get this:



I have taken it for a test spin and am convinced it will stay on a table while it spins and I love the convenience of being able to put it away completely in a closet when it is not in use.  Not to mention when I want to take it back to Vancouver it will cleverly fit into my carry-on suitcase.  I expect this to be a good investment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4