Skip to main content

Garden Fences

Happy Victoria Day to all my Canadian readers.  Hope you are enjoying your day off and that the weather cooperated for your three-day long spring holiday.  Here in Minneapolis, the weather has been fickle.  Yesterday it was 78 degrees and then plummeted into the 40s overnight.  Add in a cloudy sky and stiff winds and the weather people are saying the wind chill could be in the upper 20s or lower 30 F today.  That's winter in Greater Vancouver's terms which means I pulled out the winter-wear, for at least today.

So I am sitting here at my desk, I put a desk together this weekend.  (Don't ask, it has 56 parts and I managed to put certain parts together three times.)  But as I said, I am looking around the internet for knitting stories and I found one.  (I am knitting, but it is more of the same rather repetitive stuff so I won't bore you with it.  Knitting is like that sometimes.)

This is the time of the year when some yearn to spend time planting and tending to a garden, either flower or vegetable or both.  I am a lapsed farm girl so gardening seems to get too close to work to be enjoyable.  That and the fact I have a black thumb means I am not a gardener, but I very much enjoy the work of others who are gifted at it.

A lovely English garden
Isn't this a lovely low maintenance garden--but wait, that fence--it is Shetland lace!  Anne Eunson from Hamnavoe, Burra loves to garden and knit lace.  In 2012 she put the two interests together.  Her yarn is the twine used to make fishnets and her needles are sharpened curtain rod (I can only hope they are made of aluminum and not wood.  Wood would make they rather heavy.)  And just like any lace, the beauty doesn't shine through until it is stretched.


One gets a sense of the beauty here
Here's Anne with the needles
Once again the creativity of some people just blows me away.  The fence is so lovely you have to stop here and look at other great photos of it.  

I complain about knitting with lace weight yarn.  This must weigh a ton as she works those curtain rods and the fishnet rope.  This makes getting back to my lace seem downright wimpy in comparison. There, we have had our moment of zen for today.

Comments

  1. Garden fences are useful to keep out animals, to protect a garden from vandalism, to define garden boundaries or just to help organize a garden area. However, fencing can be expensive, and the purpose and design should be considered carefully. Can you suggest affordable landscaping services where I can get better design options for outdoor space of my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed with Fence Panels Canada! Excellent selection and top-notch customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Explore a variety of designs from Fence Panels Canada, elevating the aesthetics of your outdoor space.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4