Skip to main content

Creativity as a Remix

I want to cover the act of creativity as I experience it.  As has been documented several times in this blog, I spend a certain amount of time searching the World Wide Web for ideas for knitting and other creative ventures as well.  Then sometimes someone points me in a direction that captures my imagination.

After I find the spark of an idea I seem to mull it around for a while.  Sometimes this takes weeks, other just a few moments, in both cases this degree of thoughtfulness requires quiet time to live inside my head.  At times I invite others to comment on what I am thinking about and in many cases the idea or how to execute it is improved.  Generally however I keep this seedling of the idea to myself.  It seems so vulnerable at this point, any whiff of discouragement could stifle it.

Then comes the actualizing where materials need to be gathered, imaginations of how it should come together are tested and rethought and the materials and testing continue.  Again this can take time because sourcing the proper materials, in my case often yarn, can take time.  I also do other creations where paint, driftwood or other raw materials are used.

It is rare an idea about how things are going to turn out, it correct on the first test.  But there are some I want to share with you.

Item ~~ Paul and I visited the Seattle Art Museum several years ago.  There on display was an artist's work, whose name I didn't record, that used repeating shapes to create interesting optical illusions.  This professional did work on a very large scale and standing in front of it I felt as if I was pulling into its vortex.  It moved me to try to create something like it for myself.  Below are three small panels created in one setting.  I used the black background like the inspiration piece and a template to paint the ovals.   It was a success in the first attempt and was a remake of something I'd seen.

In person there is more of a descending spiral feeling, it is lost in this two-dimensional rendition

Item ~~ the UND scarf.  After knitting the O scarf from the Camas Creek kit I was moved to think about knitting a scarf for a university logo not licensed by the company.  The idea of planning the intarsia to knit the logo on the scarf  was too daunting for me.  But using the duplicate stitch, that is embroidering over stitches after they are knit, that was something I was pretty sure I could do.  Making it that much easier is the fact that putting lettering on graph paper comes easily to me.  It did take two attempts to draw the logo to the proper size, but look at the results.  I think it looks pretty good for an amateur designer.  (BTW, that little orange colouring is in fact meant to look like a flame.  Check out the UND logo here.

My remix of the UND logo in yarn


Item ~~ there was this sent to me by someone who gets my sense of design, an is idea for my walls.




I have mentioned before the project of melting crayons together to make a wall hanging where colours literally run together.  I love the way this designer, Nike Schroder uses thread to accommodate this blending of colours.  I have purchased a wide and rather strong ribbon to wrap the thread around.  My intention is to use hooks and loops or magnetic tape and metal tacks to hold it to the wall.  And how does the start of this project look?

I have only just begun, but it is clear to me this will work

The various threads to be used to complete this project

So creativity as I experience it is taking something someone else has already developed and changing it to better take advantage of my skills, materials and sensibilities.  It is a personal adventure, mainly, that can be shared with others for input, but may not be shared until the entire project is complete.  My creativity is a remix and has nothing to do with originality of an idea.  But in the end, I truly enjoy the process and the end products also work for me.  And to stay creative I try to follow many of these suggestions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4