Skip to main content

Finishing Ph.D

This adventure does not require any contact with an institution of higher education, BTW.  When I say Ph.D. in this context I am discussing finishing Projects half Done.  And again it seems I have a few to do.

Remember those two Fiddlehead Mittens?  If not here's a quick reminder and another.  It seems I have two mittens completed, one with an off-white background and one in charcoal.  Both need the other completed.





There is a half done Ashton shawl in a denim colour that showed up here, that needs to be done within the month.


Ashton Shawl #3
And I have the second Badger mitten to complete.  It is not f~l~y~i~n~g off the needles as I had suggested it would just last week.  At Knit Nite on Thursday I skipped a row on the chart somehow and it has sit alone in the bag I carried it in all weekend long.  So what did I do?  I started something new that will be revealed later.

I am not the only knitter who suffers from unfinished projects and perhaps I am not the one with the most either.  All my knit buddies, my Mom and knit heroes are far better at starting something and seeing it through to the end.  But there's something which causes me to search out a new project once I know I have conquered the latest technique.  (Not great when you need to complete a pair!)  It is as if I am bored with something the minute I figure it out which is weird, really.  Pushing ones limits, doing something new requires a good deal of mental capacity (I should say it does for me).  It is not as relaxing as doing something one already knows all the tricks to do to accomplish it.

Perhaps it is that nothing else is challenging me right now.  I know how to cook and clean and walk and entertain myself on a daily basis.  But there is always something challenging about a new knitting project.  It has the thrill of the hunt, the excitement of conquering a task you weren't so sure you could, and the complete joy of having done it.

Whatever the motivation for starting something new, for the next few weeks I am going to control that urge to actually finish all the Ph.D. mentioned above.  Closure, or completing a task once started can also be motivating.  This is something for me to keep in the forefront of my mind as I knit on.  There's deadlines looming and I need to finish the Ph.D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4