Skip to main content

Solutions Found

My stash of yarn is in better order than it was a few days ago and my office is more organized than it was at the start of this week. Beads are all placed together, and ribbons and wool for felting are living separately so with the yank on one bag all like stocks come out together.   Why this flurry of activity?  I had to find the antique buttons for the possum yarn fingerless gloves.

Let me start by describing how I got myself in this disorganized situation; all too easily, unfortunately.   I have a nasty habit of purchasing knitting accessories that capture my attention without a plan for them.  That means beads, ribbons, embroidery thread, as well as buttons are purchased randomly causing these arbitrary purchases to be stored haphazardly in my office and elsewhere.  This habit creates chaos with no quick way to locate any of my knitting accessories.

I looked three times in each of the possible locations to no success.  Then just as I was about to call off the search for the day, I looked one last time in the place I most expected it to be.  And sure enough there were those antique buttons just waiting for me.  Buttons -- found!

Then there was the matter of laddering on my first glove.  Since I wasn't able to manage the tension between double pointed needles and hoped blocking would fix the problem I moved forward to test that theory.  The first glove was soaked and blocked to see what would happen and the results were satisfactory so the second glove was knit.

Below is a side by side of the two gloves, the left, blocked and the right not, and in the middle, 3 gms of yarn left to finish the second thumb.  (Indeed, the 25 gms can produce a pair of these gloves, even if one's tension is loose, like mine.  This was worrisome until that second glove was far enough along to prove to me there was enough yarn.)

Blocked vs. Unblocked 

The yarn does tightens up during blocking, but the bloom is quite remarkable.  Below I have tried to show you the difference.  Can you see the wispy bits floating in the air of the blocked glove in the first picture? Note how close to the gloves these bits are located in the second photo of the unblocked glove.  What you can't see is the change in the way the fabric feels.  To me the blocked glove feels lighter although both gloves weigh 11 gms.  It is as if the entire texture of the fabric is completely transformed during blocking, and of course it is.

Blocked

Unblocked

And here is the blocked glove with the buttons plopped on it for a quick photo.  They will actually be on the side of wrist but I placed them on top so you could see them.  Hopefully, I space the buttons better when they are actually sewn in place.

Glove and buttons together at last
Buttons found; laddering minimized; solutions found.  Yes, it is another good day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4