Skip to main content

Something Had to be Done

In yesterday's post there were listed several WIPs on my 2015 knitting list.  All of these projects have been hanging around for some time and weigh heavily on my knitting psyche.  Yesterday I decided there was a need to finish something; one of those projects simply had to be done.  So I picked the easy one and did just that.

The ¨O¨ scarf is now completed except for the drying process.  Yesterday the grey block was finished as well as the final set of ¨Os¨.  Last night I added the fringe and to my surprise it actually does a wonderful job of closing up the openings at both ends as well as completely covering the cast-on and bind-off rows.  I went to bed happy that at least one thing on my knitting to do list for 2015 was knit and less that two weeks after Xmas.  (You might remember the scarf was meant to be one of Paul's Xmas gifts.)

This morning I started the blocking process.  It required the use of a colour sheet, a product I didn't know existed until this project required it.  More than a few grocery stores were searched for them and finally at one big box store I found this.

My colour collector sheets

The scarf with the sheet had to soak for 20 minutes which of course cleans the scarf but also blooms the wool, helps hide the glitches in the colour work and allows for easy shaping.

Soaking in a red bucket
Below is a photo of the sheet after it was used on top and a clean sheet at the bottom. The used sheet has a pink tinge to it, but my camera (a new one BTW) had trouble deciphering it.  Perhaps the 2 tablespoons of white vinegar also recommended in the pattern helped the bright red wool colour (oops it is supposed to be scarlet) to set.  Whatever the reason I am happy the grey was not impacted by the soak.

Can you see the slight pink at the top of the photo?

Finally the pinning was done.  Mike, the cat, decided helping me was part of his business.  Even though the scarf was damp he was very happy to rest on it.  You can see the pins and measuring tape used to get the scarf properly shaped.

Mike is such a help holding in place both sides.

The blocked scarf measures 82 inches/208 cm sans the fringe.  If the fringe is counted add another 14 inches/37 cm.  This is longer than Paul had hoped but he understands the design required the extra length.  Finally, the fringe might be clipped; we'll decide that after it is dry.

Happily drying on the dining room table with plastic mats below it
For today I am content that at least one thing is done, concluded, taken off the WIP list.  My urge for completion has subsided for now.  And BTW, Merry Xmas, Paul!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4