Skip to main content

Happy New Year to 2015

Paul and I rung in the New Year with a rather routine ritual.  We always have some sort of seafood at home, pop open a bottle of bubbly and settle in for the night.  The end of 2014 and start of 2015 was the same.  We were crawling into bed just as the fireworks were being set off by neighbours around the inlet.

Yesterday was a day of college football bowl games.  Both the Wisconsin Badgers (my team) and the Buckeyes of The Ohio State University (Paul's team) played.  Since the Badgers played in some obscure bowl game because they were ranked something like 19th in the country, I had to listen to the play-by-play broadcast on the radio using my iPad and the new speaker Paul bought me for Xmas.  It sure is great for knitting because you don't miss seeing a single play.  I have to make a note of that for future reference.

Paul is in the habit of waiting until his team has played the entire game before deciding to watch it or not.  He records the game and watches if they win, dumps it if they lose.  And yes his #4 Buckeyes were playing #1 Alabama for a right to play in the championship game on January 12.  I was checking the score on the Internet and at times when his team was ahead, giving out the good news and then at other times keeping the score to myself.  But the Buckeyes pulled out a win and this morning the entire game was watched.

Today our meager holiday decorations are coming done and being put away.  The nice thing about not putting much up is that there isn't much to come down either.

Decorations coming down and ¨O¨ scarf frogged back

So what was I knitting.  First the ¨O" scarf was dismantled with amazing speed.  But my heart just wasn't into knitting in circles yesterday so it sits waiting to be done.  Perhaps it will be a good omen if I get it done on or before that championship game on January 12!

There is someone I know going to have a baby boy soon and there's a baby shower coming up on January 15.  My logic went something like this:  It is a New Year and I need to start on a new project.  So yesterday I searched and searched to find something that would work for a baby boy, keep me interested and also plays on the fashionista style of mom.  This is what I found:

Upscale-back_small2Upscale-front_medium


It is called Upscale Baby Sweater by WIP Insanity with the free pattern available here on Ravelry. I love that it is a simple cardigan with only one button.  The sweater is knit all in one piece with the sleeves and collar added in after.  The design element is made with purl stitches on knit rows and knit on purl rows which is keeping me on my toes.

A sideway view showing off the seed or moss stitch edge and some of the design
I want to keep the design more subdued because this is for a boy so I picked a darker colour, in fact, I am using Knit Picks Stroll Tweed in the colourway of Flagstone Heather.  The design is evident, but it doesn't show up as clearly as in the designer's photos above.  Here's what I have done so far



It should easily be done by the deadline, but haven't I said that several times before and missed the mark.  This time I am confident it will be done.

This year I have resolved to keep a spreadsheet with all my Knitting To Dos on it.  I don't want to run into October and realize there is not enough time to finish my Christmas knitting.  So far I have these to do:

  • Finish the Upscale baby sweater
  • Finish ¨O¨ scarf
  • Finish the charcoal Ashton cowl
  • Finish the Jeweled Cowl for me (BTW it will be unjeweled, not enough of the right coloured beads)
  • Finish a Xmas stocking I started about 4 years ago
  • Finish both pairs of Fiddlehead mittens
  • Make another charcoal coloured YO cowl
  • Make Miss M's Christmas stocking
  • Make a bunch of knitted letters for Miss M
  • Make knitted food for Miss M
  • Make several pairs of fingerless gloves

Well you get the idea, and this is a short list.  My year is starting out with a knitting bang.

Happy Knitting New Year; 2015 should be a very productive one for me.  I have all the time I need.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4