Skip to main content

Taking a Break

The pink shawl, aka Pink, and I had a serious talk yesterday.  Pink told me she was getting tired of all the tugging and grumbling she was getting from me.  (Perhaps it was more polite than that, but what I wrote was the message I received.)  I told her I just didn't quite understand what had happened to us.  We seemed to be getting along so nicely up to the point where I started adding beads.  Then all of a sudden things changed.  The beads inconsistently sat wrong on the knit stitch.  This had not been a problem with my mare Ashton.  Many beads were fine, but several were twisted in an unattractive way and when I tried to fix the problem things really ran off the rails.  Perhaps Pink doesn't like being interfered with by beads, so I asked directly about the change in her attitude.  After that Pink stopped talking and silently we decided it was time to take a break.  It seems it is for the best for now.  The whole thing was a rather lopsided conversation anyway.

That was yesterday morning.  On Friday I was out and about with Jami.  She and I finally did get to the iFound Gallery on Main Street a place we had wanted to visit last spring.  We spent what seemed like a quick couple of hours in this rather small store.  Then we were off to Three Bags Full, a yarn shop on Main just a block or so away.  I was looking for more lace weight yarn and Jami decided she wouldn't mind an Ashton shawl and another Bravo Big Colour cowl.  (I had offered to make them if she'd like.)  Jami purchased her yarn and I bought mine with all three yarns coming home with me.

So yesterday after Pink and I stopped talking (for the time being from my POV, but who knows what Pink has in mind) I picked up needles and the chunky yarn for the cowl.  The cowl uses mega chunky yarn with 10 mm or size 15 needles.  Pink is made with lace weight yarn and 3.25 mm or size 3 needles.  As you can imagine the contrast was quite a shock for me.  See for yourself.






The cowl stitches can be counted in the photos they are so B-I-G.  The purple needle is gigantic compared to the tiny little needle used for Pink.  The pencil in the middle is meant to give you an idea of scale.  BTW there is about 1 hour of knitting showing for the cowl and approximately 10 or more hours for Pink and the fabric is about the same size.

And here's the final cowl done up with a scarf in a little over 2.5 hours:




It isn't quite the same as the first cowl and I'll have to see what Jami has to say about the change.  If she doesn't like it I will happily take it apart and cast on fewer stitches to make a longer cowl that can be wrapped around the neck twice.  It is Jami's yarn so I want her to be happy with the final results.  Knitting for me is about the journey so if it needs to be deconstructed and redone, I remain happy because I get to continue to knit.

As for Pink, she seems to be noticing I can rather easily move on, so perhaps once I do one final set of tinking on her today, she and I will be able to continue.  We'll see.

Oh, Mike let me know this week it was about time he was featured here again.  While I was trying to photograph the dahlias he insisted in getting into every shot.  So Mike, this one is for you and all your fans out there in the blogosphere.  (He's approaching 16 years of age and still looking pretty good, don't you think?)

Mike more than happy to pose for a close-up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4