Skip to main content

There's Been Knitting

Between seeing friends near and far, packing away work stuff (I left the Saturday morning after my last day of work) and sorting through clothes, there has been a fair amount of knitting.

Here's the lace shawl so far:

My Ashton Shawl 

It is impossible to read the ruler in this photo, but here it is about 19 inches/46.25 cm at the spine.  Unfortunately the shawl is off the needles, not because it is finished, but because I found a mistake back about 6 rows.  So since it would be possible to see its shape, I took time for a photo.


I thought I had been doing a pretty good job of applying my own lace knitting rules, but apparently not consistently enough.  In a lace knitting chart there is always a certain segment that is repeated several times to get across an ever growing length.  (For example, in the pattern below, the 8 stitches in pink represent the repeat segment.)

I have learned if I just keep counting the number of stitches knit in that repeat section it is easier than trying to follow the pattern stitch by stitch.  Over a small number of stitches one can memorize what needs to be done and then focus on doing the required number.  Again it amazes me that I didn't think of it until now, but that's what happened.  And all was going so well until I really looked over the finished work.  (I am getting better at reading my knitting; it is just too bad I don't stop to read it more often.  This is really a note to myself.)

Finally, I want to point out that my instructor encouraged me to try putting beads into this shawl.  I didn't want to add too many because they can add a lot of weight, but a few can help the shawl drape appropriately.  It has been a good bit of fun to add them.  You can see the three beads in the center of the photo below.  This has been repeated approximately 20 times across every fourth row.


The technique used has the knitter place the bead over a stitch as opposed to being strung on the yarn before knitting starts.  Click here to see how this technique is done.  I am using a much finer yarn than the yarn in the video so my crochet hook is much smaller (this also causes the beads to be smaller than those in the video as well).  In fact the crochet hook is so small it is very difficult to see the crook at the end.  At first this new technique was a challenge with all the other stuff going on in a shawl, but after the first 50 or so beads, I fell in love with the technique.  And the beads are picking up the best of my pond coloured yarn.  This technique will be something I use again in the future.

Oh, and finally, you might be wondering why that wrinkled white sheet was used as a background for the photo.  It serves to better show off the lace, but the true reason has to be with my being able to pick up the stitches and get them back on the circular needles.  A light background with dark yarn makes seeing the YOs (yarn overs) so much easier.  I did stop to pick up those approximate 300 stitches before I wrote this.  And now the shawl measures only 18 inches/45.75 cm.  Two steps forwards and one step back.  This is why there's been so much knitting done lately!  But I will not give in to lace knitting; instead, I plan to conquer this skill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4