Skip to main content

"The Bug"

While in North Carolina the three of us were discussing something serious (I can't remember the specific topic) and to lighten the mood I said something to the effect:  Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes the bug.  It accomplished what I wanted but got me thinking about the song it came from and wanting to revisit the entire set of lyrics.  So here goes the results of that investigation.

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits wrote the song, "The Bug," in 1991 and the band released it that year as part of the On Every Street album.  It has been covered by others since then; my personal favorite was done in 1992 by Mary Chapin Carpenter with a country beat rather than a rock and roll one.   I have posted the YouTube link to Chapin Carpenter's version because all the words are there for you to review.  Some of the poignant lyrics to this post include these lines:

One step forward and it's back to go,
Sometimes you're the windshield,
Sometimes you're the bug,

Well, this last week I took steps forward and now I am back to go.  Let's begin with the happy part of the story, because as the lyrics go:

You've got to know happy and you got to know glad,
Cause you're gonna know lonely and you're gonna know sad,

I completed an entire Fiddlehead Mitten designed by Adrian Bizilia while I was in North Carolina.  In fact I have about 1/3 of the second mitten done as well.  You may remember the Fiddlehead Mittens Tena completed back in 2012.  (Want to see Tena's version, click here.)  I liked hers so well I decide to make a pair myself, even going so far as to get color selection help from my LYS.  The light gray when it was suggested was something I questioned, but now that I see it in action I really like it.  And this mitten fits my hand perfectly so it was going to be a gift to myself.  Have I whet your appetite enough?  OK, here is both the front and back of my one Fiddlehead Mitten.

The palm side - unblocked

The back - unblocked
So I know happy and glad because this Fair Isle pattern caused both.  The second mitten was only 1/3 completed because in North Carolina it became clear I would run out of the background of light gray before the second mitten was finished.

Mitten #2 so far and what is left of the light gray yarn
Now comes the lonely and sad part.  I assumed there would be a second skein of this gray waiting for me in Minneapolis, but it wasn't.  And as I thought about it more, there may very well not be a second skein at home in the Lower Mainland either.  So last night it felt like I just might be the bug in this endeavor.

One day you're a diamond and the next you're a stone

This morning after a good night's sleep I decided to stop by my LYS here in Minneapolis to see if they might have the light gray yarn.  The shop does carry that line of yarn just not my colour.  They even checked online with the manufacturer and found the light gray colour has been discontinued.

Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger
Sometimes you're the ball
Sometimes it all comes together baby
Sometimes you're gonna lose it all.



My new background gray

So right then and there, when I could see things were not going to be easy, a new plan was cooked up.  Another pair will be made with this dark gray as the background.  (BTW be assured enough of the new yarn was purchased to insure a complete pair of mittens can be knit.) Tena's charcoal gray was so pretty, I decided to duplicate it instead.  The light grey won't be torn out just yet.  There is a slight chance of that second skein living in Port Moody or at my LYS there.  Or if I get ambitious enough I can go to Ravelry and see if anyone has that colour in their stash and is willing to part with it.  But I am not that desperate, yet.  I look at this first mitten as a practice mitten and if it has to be frogged, so be it.  The second time around everything I knit always looks better anyway.  So in the end when you are me, a Plan B had to be found.  I will complete those Fiddlehead mittens, just a bit later than planned with a charcoal background.

Everything can change in the blink of an eye
So let the good times roll before we say goodbye because
Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug

In the blink of an eye I went from being the bug to something like the windshield.  And since knitting is a process~~the process continues!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4