Skip to main content

Baking Flash Backs

Before we get into this post, I need to update you again.  I have been in North Carolina for the last 10 days helping a friend who recently had a rather serious auto accident recuperate at home.  I did the cooking, shopping and driving to medical appointments.  Between there was time to knit.  Having said that this particular post was written before the trip, but as is obvious, it wasn't posted until now.  There will be plenty of knitting updates soon, but for now, let's talk about baking.

PS~~what I did before I left was put together 3 side tables.  In my own defense, each had 48 screws to insert, and I was using a hand tool, aka a Phillips screwdriver.  That's 144 screws, each tighted by my own knitting and thus soft fingers.  I wasn't lazy in my lack of posting this, just blistered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This will be a knit free post due to the fact I have some WIPs, but nothing has been knit in over a week.  And since I am traveling to North Carolina for a while, there more than likely will be little news to report.  Lest some of you worry, I thought I would get the word out that there will be few to no posts in the next couple of weeks.

What I can report is on the baking front.  Since I am here with my sons, I am inspired to look back at the recipes they enjoyed as kids.  That inspiration and the fact two items are readily available for the taking, rhubarb and zucchini, I did some old-time baking.

Allen, one of my uncles, lived on a farm, back in the day, with an orchard and rather large garden so each spring he'd fill a large Coleman cooler with cut rhubarb to the brim.  (Today, he, the garden and farm are all no longer apart of the family.)  Back then, I would merely take the rhubarb home, wash, cut and freeze it in 2 cup measures, the amount needed to make a 1/2 batch of Rhubarb Custard bars or squares.  Click here for the recipe used sans the frosting.  A one-half recipe is the right size unless you are feeding a large family or in my case, sons with friends all having a bottomless pits for food.

 One of my sons has rhubarb growing in his backyard and the other was gifted some.  The recipe I used was very forgiving so even the more mature rhubarb grown this time of year worked.  So a couple of batches were made, to my recollection the recipe above duplicates the one used over 25 years ago.  The comments from my sons about this recipe were something like the following:  Mom, I don't remember it being this sweet"  (a more sophisticated and mature palate is probably at play here).  And:  "Mom stop making these bars, I am eating too many of them."  So it seems these bars were a hit.

Hmm, hmm good rhubarb custard bars

Now you ask why is this such a big deal.  In the past I baked these a lot for several reasons:  1) One almost always has the ingredients needed in the house, 2) It takes little or no time to mix up a batch if the rhubarb has already been chopped into small pieces, 3) If one makes a half-batch as I always did, the bars are gone before they get the least bit soggy, 4) The family loved them.  But since I have left the Midwest, rhubarb is harder to find and when it is found can cost between $2-$4 per pound.  The expensive ingredient and the fact I really don't need these calories explains why it has been so long since this dessert has been made.

As for zucchini, this is the time of year when the super big ones are available.  In the past they would be shredded and again frozen for use later.  I never bothered peeling them either.  When my sons were small I could bake a batch of zucchini bread in muffin tins so they could grab and go with them.  Additionally the "boys" were not told there was zucchini in the muffin, instead I called them spice muffins.  After many, many of these spice muffins were eaten someone asked about the green specks and that's when the zucchini was named.  By then though, they were so addicted to the muffins the fact there was something somewhat healthy in them was completely ignored.

So while at the farm my niece, who worked this summer for a garden vegetable seed company, brought home a big zucchini, along with several other very fresh vegetables.  Mom and I shredded the zucchini into 12 cups in about 5 minutes and froze it in 2 cup quantities.  Four cups stayed at the farm and the rest came back to the condo.  This morning a batch of zucchini bread was made, one into a loaf pan and the other into a dozen unbaked muffins that have been frozen.  My hope is I will be able to take one muffin out aat time and bake it for myself.   (And BTW, this is working.  Single serving, fresh from the toaster oven.  Freezing the batter does not appears to impact the quality of the final product.)  And here's the recipe for it.  I leave out the nuts because I'm not a fan; you may feel differently. This is how the bread looks.

See the green flecks!
The reaction to the bread was:  "Thanks Mom, this zucchini bread is great."  No comments about it being too good, though.  Somehow a request to stop production of these goodies was never uttered when my guys were 25 years younger.  But then, we all grow up.

For now I must close, the smell of zucchini bread is wafting in the air and I want to eat that one muffin while it is still warm!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4