Skip to main content

Semi-Handiwoman

Knitting, still not much is happening.  I made some progress on the Mock Plaid scarf and will reveal it when it is done.  In Wisconsin Mom got hooked on that pattern and she too is making one.  There is another little ditty I did, but I have to put all the finishing touches on it before revealing.  So some things are being worked on, but progress is slow.

Let me tell you what I have become - handiwoman, instead of knitter.  Now a real handiperson will laugh at what I'm about to write, but me, a novice handiperson, I am proud of these little accomplishments.  It seems as if the investigating what to do, the hunting and gathering of the right items and the installing of them makes me feel good about my accomplishments.

The light under the microwave went out on Sunday morning, the same day the InSinkErator decided to stop and the same day I had the great idea that my son and I could put a rug under the dining room table.   The toilet seat since I moved in has served as a rock and roll, slip and slide experience giver so it needed replacing.  And finally the toilet paper dispenser was very wobbly.  (There's a towel bar for the shower door and a few other things, but I haven't yet gotten to them.)

This handiwoman managed to 1) take the burnt out lights to a Target store and locate replacements and install them, 2) find the reset button for the InSinkErator and restore it to a functioning status, 3) locate the elongated toilet seat I needed at Menard's (a U.S. Home Depot if you will), take off the old and install the new.  (Steve, the tip about knowing if one needs a round or elongated seat was a great one!) and 4) use an appropriate sized allen wrench my brother gave me, reinstall the toilet paper dispenser and no more wobbles.  I know this is all pretty ridiculously simple, but hey, I did it all.  Me alone.

Here's some photographic back up that proves my successes.

Old is off, new installed

Two lights reflecting off the back-splash.  Yeah!
As for the InSinkErator, I made a video, but Blogger wasn't too fond of it.  The InSinkErator works.  And the toilet paper dispenser, again you'll just have to trust me.

Now, take a look at where I'm at with the glass table.



My son and I were able to lift the top, which we estimate weighs about 200 pounds or approximately 91 kilos, off the pedestals.  Gravity was very helpful with this maneuver.  The rug (the red stripy bit) was placed where it needed to be, and the pedestals positioned where they should be.  It is the picking up and replacing the glass top on those pedestals that has me stumped.  It doesn't help that there is nothing to grip on to and that glass is slippery.  My son valiantly tried, but no single normal human should try this exercise.  I called the moving company that delivered it and they want far more than what I'm willing to pay to move it.  It seems as if they weren't all that interested in doing such a small job and made a rather expensive estimate, and really, who can blame them.

For now, I'm eating from a coffee table and dinner parties are out of the question unless everyone wants to eat cross-legged on the floor.  This problem too will be solved, I just don't know how or when.  All this leads me to believe perhaps it would be more accurate to call myself a semi-handiwoman.   Maybe I am better suited to remain a knitter and not try using a tool belt too often; but learning how to use tools way back when, it is coming in pretty handy right now as I settle in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4