Skip to main content

Mother's Day

Some of the blog posts I write roll right out of me.  The topic inspires me and the words flow so easily the post almost writes itself (Hefting was that way).  Other posts are just the opposite, I don't really know the topic (problems for men who knit) or are so complicated (how to go about designing a pattern for, well just about anything) that they remain ideas out there to write later.  Or, as in the case of today's post, I just know the subject of the post is going to have problems about the exposure.

For three years now I've pondered writing about my Mom on Mother's Day.  But I know Mom, she is an introvert, not in the relatively negative vernacular use of the word, but rather in the Jungian way.  She's not the type to tell you everything about everything she's thinking.  In fact, it might be a challenge at times to know what she thinks about something because she's actually that private. Mom believes a private life is just that private.  She is efficient with words and doesn't blather on and on about something.  (I do have many of Mom's characteristics, but brevity and silence are NOT ones I inherited.)   Mom would never consider writing like I do here.  I'll now just go ahead and put words in her mouth, as I often do, I suspect she'd say the blog is just too much personal information sharing.

In fact, Mom has had trouble with my quoting her in this blog, photographing the things she's created, or praising her generosity in giving to the local hospital.   So I have hesitated about this post because I wanted to approach it in just the right way as to not make her too uncomfortable.  To be sure she won't enjoy the exposure, but perhaps the words will overcome that discomfort.


July 31, 2004 - Today, I look even more like Mom

That photo, taken just about 10 years ago, is a professional photo she wanted taken and Mom had the ideas about how it should look.  The occasion was one of my nephew's wedding so we were both looking about our best.  I know she doesn't like sharing photos much, but you have to admit Mom, I picked a pretty good one of both of us, didn't I?  Mom has a copy of it sitting in the area of the house she knits and I have a copy in my home in an area I knit.  So it can easily be argued we both have this in a special place.

We have grown closer the older we get despite our differences.  Mom is of a different generation from me.  Women in her generation, at least after WWII, didn't work outside of the home.  But be sure Mom worked on the farm.  She helped with the chores and field work, was a good mother, daughter and sister.  She is and was a very good cook, with meals outside of the home a true rarity.  She supported my Dad in all that he did.

I too am a product of my generation.  Although a bit late to the Women's Liberation movement, I lived many of the things they espoused.  I got a degree in the field of business at a time when in a class of 25 there might be 3 of us of the female gender in the room, meaning I wasn't on the front line of the change, but I did experience some of the challenges of breaking into the all male world of work.   I worked outside of the home and had others care for my sons, quite a departure from Mom's generation and the way I was raised.  Mom and I didn't really see eye to eye for a couple of decades, but then in my thirties it seemed as though barriers between us fell away.  Of course it wasn't her (Mom has always been Mom), it was me finally growing old enough to better understanding her life's choices or lack thereof.  Since then, so that's now been about 30 years, we just "get" each other and have become friends.

In the birthday card I got this year was a letter that Mom wrote.  Along with all kinds of updates about this and that she wrote:  "You were a tiny bundle compared to today's babies; but you were feisty and still are.  That is what probably got you where you are today."  And in those two short sentences, Mom captured my being.  She understands me and my ways of living, even when that way may not be to her liking.  That type of acceptance is what any child, no matter how old, would hope for from a mother.  Mother should be someone who loves you despite your doing things she doesn't fully understand or even agree with.

So Mom, I hope you have a very great Mother's Day.  Your acceptance of me as I am has also gone a long way in making me who I am today.   For that type of acceptance I am eternally grateful and hopefully I've been able to pass it on to the next generation and someday the one after that.   You've impacted many lives beyond your three children and you need to celebrate all of that today and always.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4