Skip to main content

Gravity and Shoes

Part I - Shoes
Both shoes are now completed for the M doll.  I am very happy with the way they turned out.  The pattern calls for eyelets and an I-cord to keep the shoes in place so I just did what the pattern said. Funny how that works, everything came out just the way it should.  A duplicate stitch in gray gave the rather heather-colours I was hoping for.  One of the pants legs is done and the other is on the needles.  The M doll is moving along very well.

M doll shoes


Part II - Gravity
Last week part of my work group (those who work most directly with students) celebrated the end of the year with a dinner and program.  (Just as a reminder I do work at a university.)  These events are always high energy, celebrative and a whole lot of fun.  Since I head up the group I'm often asked to say a few words to thank students for all they do for my department.

Don't know that it's been mentioned here before, but I will retire from my day job within a couple of months and apparently word got out to students recently.  My colleagues and boss have known for months and since I'm really not interested in saying goodbye for months I've been relatively silent about the retirement thing.  Having said that at last week's event I did say a very brief goodbye to the students, but did not want to spend much time on it because this event is about them.  To my surprise, two students decided to give me a tribute.

Their comments started out like this:

Gravity is the fundamental force of attraction that all objects with mass have for each other. Like the electromagnetic force, gravity has effectively infinite range and obeys the inverse-square law. At the atomic level, where masses are very small, the force of gravity is negligible, but for objects that have very large masses such as planets, stars, and galaxies, gravity is a predominant force, and it plays an important role in theories of the structure of the universe.

The comments went on to outline the fact that gravity generally is not seen or felt until one is away from it's pull.  It is powerful enough to control the tides and keep things grounded.  Other kind words were said and then they all let everyone know about my retirement and how my work influence on the department is like gravity.   It was a sincere and thoughtful tribute that moved me.  I will attempt to put some of this feeling into words, but it is a feeling meaning it is hard to describe with language.

My Gravity Award

At my age I am generally quite aware of my strengths and flaws/weaknesses.  There have been years and years to examine this life and be realistic about why things have turned out as they have.   Students, who are generally 18-22 years of age, most enjoy being lead by someone who inspires them, who is gregarious, outgoing, quick on their feet in public speaking events and just fun to be with.  Well, perhaps in small groups it is possible for me to pull off some of these traits, but in general none of them easily fit into my own wheelhouse of skills and abilities.  What I do excel at is thinking about how our department does its work and finding ways to improve it.  It is by trying to look at what students want through their eyes and then doing as much as possible to deliver our services to them that way, that I believe I express to students my sincere interest in them.  This way of caring isn't as direct as being gregarious and outgoing, but in the end I have opted to use my strengths at work and not try to be something I'm not.

It was very moving for me to have two individuals, who have only been given an opportunity to get to know me from a distance (because of my own characteristics, certainly not theirs), to understand my work style.  Their comments focused on the strengths they found in me and didn't offer even a whiff of disappointment about other characteristic they might hope to see in me.  It is smart young people like these two I am going to miss when I retire.  They are generous in praise, even when it might be difficult to find ways to offer praise.  Yup, they help keep me thinking in young ways, even though I'm packaged in a not so young body.

Kate and Marcos, this is my shout out to you two.  Thank you for getting my work essence even though it is quite different from your own.    Your comments struck a very sweet chord within my being.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4