Skip to main content

M Doll and Proud

M doll has taken up most of the knitting air in the house during the past week.  It is amazing how much time can be spent knitting up one 25 inch or 63.5 cm toy.  When we left off yesterday I was trying to figure out what to do with the hair.  Well it has been determined to be brown and short.  The style you see in the photo below took me a remarkable 4 hours to sew.  Yes, I find that number hard to believe, and I did it.  Creating hair takes a certain amount of repetition, of going over the same area several times, so there are no "bald spots" showing through.  The great fun was deciding where to leave the few stragglers.  It was also decided that the lips needed to be bigger so one can see I changed them from a single thin line to two with the middle filled in.  The satin embroidery stitch was used to fill in the spaces.  The idea of big prominent features appeals to me.

I cut up an old pair of white pantyhose to keep the stuffing contained and firm for the head, body and each of the arms and legs.  Sewing the head to the body was another challenge because just like a newborn, the neck could not support the head.  It took a few tries by adding wider concentric stitches around the neck (all of which in the end helps support that head) until finally the head is secured to the point where it doesn't immediately look at the floor when picked up.   Finally before any photos were taken a pair of panties/diaper was knit and decorated to cover up the parts that might need covering.  (Paul and I laughed at the fact that I felt a certain modesty about this for my knitted grand daughter but not for my knitted Queen Elizabeth.  I know one, I guess and that changes everything.)  So here the M doll is as of today.

Next to a ruler showing how tall she stands



The rest of the outfit: the pants, t-shirt, sunglasses and socks still need to be knit, but they should be completed before too long.  The socks are already begun, and I'm trying to figure out the pants.  BTW, I didn't have to come up with my own design for the M doll.  Toys to Knit by Tracy Chapman used DK yarn to create a smaller version of this doll.  The M doll merely used worsted weight yarn and the appropriate sized needles to expand on the size.  The patterns for clothing so far are planned out of the same book.  (Had I needed to guess at all of this it would have taken months not weeks of trial and error to get it right.)

Here's Paul holding the doll like a baby to give you a better idea of scale.



I also attended a play call Proud over the long Easter weekend.  It focuses on Stephen Harper, the PM (Prime Minister) of Canada in a fictional world where in 2011 his government has won a landslide majority, including the 59 seats from Quebec that in reality went to the NDP.  The play pits the rather stiff and unemotional PM as he is always and only referred to in the play against a new, gregarious single mother of one, conservative MP (Member of Parliament) Jisbella Lyth from Quebec.  The play is a satire about why Harper wields such control over members of his party to get what he wants:  "Tighten things up just a little bit will suddenly have you make a few more choices." Or so the PM assumes.  Proud is at the Firehall Arts Centre in Vancouver through April 26.  Oh, and as for the name, Proud, it is meant to get "Canadian citizens to think that we do have about as many things to be proud of about being Canadian as there are to be ashamed about. . .", according to the artistic producer, Donna Spencer.  I found it to be a wonderful way to spend 95 minutes and recommend it to you.



The Cast of Proud playing in Vancouver 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4