Skip to main content

Something to Warm your Heart on a Dreary Day

The news these days can often be down right ugly.  The accounts of individuals who are killed, crashes of any mode of travel, wars and then there's all the tragedies of friends and family that doesn't make the news; it can be downright depressing.

Jane Van Zyll Langhout

So today's post is news about a good type of knitter.  Jane Van Zyll Langhout, an 85-year-old grandmother, has committed to knitting toques (stocking caps) for the NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology) Share the Warmth Campaign.  NAIT is located in Edmonton, Alberta (think West Edmonton Mall and northern Alberta [oil and really cold country], for those not familiar with Canada).  This campaign works to offer warm clothing to the homeless.  (The juxtaposition of knitting with an institute of technology grabs my attention.  Isn't it funny that such an old skill can help a cause for a place that teaches the next new technological ways to solve problems.)

For the second year in a row Van Zyll Langhout has donated 1,000 hand-knit toques.  She says since she's older she enjoys sitting and in eight hours she can make three caps.  If you do the math, that means she's making three toques 333 of 365 days of the year.  Ms. Van Zyll Langhout is one prolific knitter.  This means she knits quickly as well.  I just completed Barley and it took me about 4 hours in total to complete (granted I had to unknit parts of it twice because of poor ladder management).  So she's at least 33% faster than I am in knitting toques.  But perhaps like my Mom who has made hundreds of baby caps, Ms. Van Zyll Langhout doesn't need to look at a pattern and flies through a project.

This generosity makes me feel better in the world of bad news.  Hopefully it lifts your spirits as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4