Skip to main content

Coming Up Short

This spring has brought out the gambler in me with regard to yarn yardage and knitting projects.

Remember the tan/green striped baby blanket (1) I had to frog?  If not, just click on the words baby blanket for a photo at the bottom of the post to see this ill-fated adventure. It is now frogged and the tan yarn will show up this weekend being used in another way.

Then there was the found yarn (2) shown here.  I knew the amount of yarn would be very close to being the right amount to complete the Barley toque.  This time the guess was right, but it was very close, though.  I won the bet.
A success, the completed Barley toque

Finally, I've been knitting the Dot Pattern baby blanket, the start of which can be seen here.  It has been a slog, an infinite sea of stockinette, with the ever so slight respite of knit stitches on the purl-side every 4th row.   The luster and excitement of knitting this blanket is wearing off and it is feeling more like a negative thing to do than a joy.  And to top it off, earlier this week I've realized there isn't going to be enough yarn to finish it off the way it was planned (3).  Another loss with regard to my addiction to yarn yardage gambling.

Dot Pattern so far.  See the ball on the left, that's it for the green yarn

Luckily this time rather than frog the entire thing I have a workable Plan B.  Because I am me, there generally has to be a Plan B sometimes that plan is more workable than others.  Last night at Knit Night I shared my plan with Tena and she helped set me straight.  Here's the revised and final plan.
  • Finish off the entire project with the minimal light green yarn that's left.
  • Cut a single stitch to separate the blanket right down the middle.  This will  create two sets of live stitches.  (I seem to have to do this a lot so the process doesn't really scare me as it should.)
  • Pick up one set of live stitches while the other set is placed on waste yarn.  Then with the picked up live stitches knit a solid yellow strip wide enough to make the blanket usable.
  • Kitchener stitch the two pieces back together. This blanket has over 260 stitches so I should have the Kitchener stitch well practiced when I've finally stitched it back together. 
This need to build on to the sea of stockinette will be a short reprieve because the yellow band in the center will be knit in solid stockinette.  But hey, it will help save hours of knitting so I'll suck it up and do it.  

Perhaps you can see why instead of trying to use up what one has in a stash, one purchases more yarn when starting a new project.  The yardage with brand new yarn is generally much more accurate than guessimating and one can avoid this game of knitting roulette.   I have rolled the dice three times recently and so far have won only once.

So the plan's in place; let's see how well it will be executed.  May the knitting force be with me as the idea proceeds to reality.  Fingers crossed, again, sigh.

Comments

  1. Ah...you are focused on waking things workout evenly - you could just create "a knitted crazy quilt" and put all the short yarns together in a style that replicates your grandma's quilts of the past. The quilt could grow bigger over time, as every short yarn pile gets added to the project. I like the idea of the special center section as a solution on the baby blanket. Good luck with the splitting and reconnecting. KK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KK-Of course your suggestion is oh so logical. But you know me; I am more of the gambler. BTW Tena would agree with you. The two of you have that no nonsense approach to life. I think I need this type in my life to keep me grounded.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4