Skip to main content

Characteristics of My Ideal LYS

Someone recently created a post on Knitting Paradise about what characteristics she'd like to see in a LYS.  It got me thinking about what I'd really like for my particular needs.  So here's my list
  1. First and foremost my ideal LYS would have a wide selection of yarn and wool types with an equally wide range of prices.  So often LYS carry only the high-end, aka expensive wool, and those of us who also use low-end yarn, like acrylics, are forced to go to big box stores.  This lack of a variety of yarn and wool types requires another stop; I'd be very happy to make one stop and get it all even if the low-end is a bit more costly.
  2. Arrange the yarns by weight and not manufacturer.  Most LYS put all the weights of one manufacturer together, which I'm sure must be convenient for the shop when shipments come in.  However, shoppers are generally looking for a particular weight of yarn and would not necessarily know all the places to look for it in the shop.
  3. All LYS have samples of knitted items around the shop next to the yarn used to make it.  However, few indicate on the knitted item the pattern used to knit it.  There are shops that do place a small card identifying both the yarn used, the number of balls/skeins used and where to find the pattern.  All of this makes the shopper less dependent on finding someone to answer their questions.
  4. Have enough space in the shopping area so that more than one person can touch and feel the yarn/wool at a time.  Space is of course expensive, but when only one person can get close to the product at a time my interest in shopping greatly diminishes.  
  5. Second-hand chairs, tables and couches do not necessarily make for the most comfortable place to learn to knit.  If you are offering classes do have a dedicated table with chairs comfortable for customers of a certain age to spend 2-3 hours sitting in.
  6. Good lighting either natural or otherwise.  Most of us knit with a task light on our work at home, when knitting in a shop it would be wonderful to have equally good lighting. 

Here's a few samples of what most LYS look like:






These requirements would completely meet my personal needs.  However here are other ideas some thought would be great.
  • Serve coffee or tea or wine.  I worry about these three because they can stain wool or yarn permanently.  This lesson has been learned the hard way; and the solutions to remedy the problems those stains created were not easy either.  Enough said.
  • Give a customer at the door a map or downloadable app to help locate yarns.  Frankly I find most LYS small enough that there's no need for a map/app, but then maybe this person had plans for a much bigger space.
  • Much was said about someone greeting customers at the door and asking just once if there was a need for help.  I don't mind not being greeted nor asked multiple times if I need help.  Retailers in other areas had caused me to not focus on either getting no attention or too much.
  • Some more talented folks would like stock for all fiber crafters including those who weave, embroider, cross stitch and sew.  As for me, I prefer a specialty shop.  Most of these other fiber options are not in my repertoire. 
  • A toilet available to customers.  I have yet to be in a shop that didn't offer this option, but apparently there are some out there.
  • A charity bin for yarn and wool, both leftover or new.  Seems to be a reasonable idea but not a necessity for my ideal LYS
Of course this is a dream shop, one that more than likely could not sustain itself financially, but it is my dream.  Perhaps I'll find that LYS that has absolutely everything I am dreaming of.  In the meantime there are several local shops that do quite well when it comes to meeting my needs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4