Skip to main content

Wild Rice and StevenBe

My latest adventure took me to Minneapolis for work and fun.  It was great to see and spend time with my son and his wife (the pair expecting).  Mom-to-be has acquired the baby bump and the beautiful glow of a pregnant woman.  She is looking and acting strong and everything seems to be going very well.  The first night in town I was treated to another quintessential Minnesota meal of wild rice with mushrooms, onions and craisins with walleye and peas.  It seems to have become a tradition and I love it.


My son had just finished his day job of teaching and was willing to take me around town.  So I took full advantage of this offer and asked if he'd take me to StevenBe's yarn shop on 3448 Chicago Avenue.  The owner Steven Berg was someone I met at Vogue Knitting Live (VKL) in Seattle this last spring, so it was a plan to visit his store when I was in town.



Before we talk about the shop, let me give you a bit of information about Steven.  He grew up in a yarn shop owned and operated by his mother.  Steven, even at a very young age, had a flare for fashion creating doll fashions that he sold to neighbours.  He spent 30 years in the fashion industry, but luckily for us left that work in the early 2000's to come back to Minneapolis to open his own yarn shop with his sister in a 19th century firehouse.  The neighborhood his shop is located is not necessarily the hippest place to live in Minneapolis, but that clearly does not keep customers away.  Outside is a lovely enclosed garden that is used during the summer for knit nights.







Below is a 2010 advertisement he did for Addi, a knitting needle collection by Skacel from Germany.  He is well known for his use of glitter and this advertisement plays that up.


Steven's ad for Addi

My son and I ventured in on a random Thursday morning and the place was hopping, apparently there was a knit-day event going on where knitters bring in what they're working on and talk and knit and drink the tea or coffee provided.  My son described this as "old lady daycare."  I reminded him I could have easily been one of those ladies and he appropriately smiled.

The store's setting is dramatic.
Steven B's shop as you enter.  See Steven there just right of center?
You walk in to a wide open space with high ceilings, chandelier and an eclectic yarn inventory.  Steven has a style all his own; at VKL he was wearing a sweater knit from film from an old film reel we had in school back in the day along with VHS tape.

Steven's film sweater
Although the photo seems to make the shop appear cluttery, I can attest it doesn't seem that way in person.  The inventory of yarn is well organized and there are plenty of accessories like boas, unusual buttons, bags for your knitting products in addition to the yarn.  Additionally all the staff were very friendly and helpful.   (I did know all of this going into the shop, but my son did not.  He being a guy was a bit leery about this adventure, so I promised I wouldn't take more than an hour in the store and I held tightly to that time frame.  I might need to ask him again to go with me to another shop in the future.   :-)

Steven wasn't there when we walked in but shortly after our arrival the place lit up when he arrived.  He immediately found my son, who at this point was sitting outside the knitting circle in a comfy chair.  Steven asked him what brought him to the store and my son shared it was his mother.  My son was given a cup of tea and I was given an opportunity to have my photo taken with Steven especially since I was so far out of town.

Steven Be and me just hanging out together in his shop
And, surely you can guess, I did purchase a wee bit of yarn as I'm prone to do on these sorts of trips.  An alpaca blend that has subsequently been turned into a Sanibel cowl, a Plymouth cotton yarn that is being made into another Sunnyside baby cardigan and a lovely Elle Rae, lace merino DK in a colour blend similar to Tena's hickory for her Antler sweater were all purchased on sale.  

My son and I will be talking about this particular shopping adventure for some time to come.  It was one moment in this trip where I knew he was willing to take himself out of his comfort zone to make me happy.  What more can a mother ask of a son?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4