Skip to main content

Tena's Antler Sweater

A few weeks ago I gave you a sneak peek of Tena's Antler Sweater. She used a Madeline Tosh Vintage yarn in the colour of Hickory.  It is a light coloured yarn with a lovely dark patina. I like the colour so well I attempted to replicate it in another brand, Ella Rae, Lace Merino DK. The colours are similar, but the Hickory has a better dark patina than mine.

My attempt at matching Tena's Madeline Tosh Vintage yarn in the colour of Hickory
At any rate, during our knit night this week Tena showed me her nearly completed sweater. It fits her very well and has the three-quarter length sleeves she wanted. Apparently the button band was more fiddly than she expected because it required several tries before it was satisfactory. But in the end, I think she's done simply a wonderful job with it.  But don't take my word for it, see for yourself:


Tena's Antler Sweater

Tena has the knack of finding the perfect buttons for her work. (I must take her button shopping for my projects.)  The burnished cooper buttons complement this sweater perfectly. (I have tried to get the photos to appropriately capture the beautiful smoky haze of this sweater, but alas I have failed.  Trust me in person it is not so yellow/tan but rather a mysterious tan/dark brown combination.)

The sweater was not yet been block. In fact the buttons had not been attached and the threads needed to be hidden, but I twisted Tena's arm to let me photograph it anyway. It is such a stunning piece of work I had to share now rather than later.

Here's another opportunity to see the antler yoke close up.  As you can see the bigger sweater allows for more antlers to be used.  I think this adult size is much more impressive than the child sized one I featured in my last post about the sweater.


Its close-up, ready or not


Not much knitting was accomplished during this week's knit night but stories of knitting and personal adventures did abound as did a photo shoot.  Thanks Tena for letting me share this project a bit before its time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...