Skip to main content

Feel Good Alert!

I have been playing around on YouTube (yes the Apple tv does come in handy for this) looking for interesting stories about knitting and this one is so heartwarming I felt it simply had to be shared.


Loes Veenstra (pictured above) from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, has been knitting sweaters since 1955 (nearly 60 years!) and completed over 550 of them.  She stored them in her home in boxes all this time.  You can see the boxes (in the lower left-hand corner) and a sample of the sweaters in the photo below.  Obviously, some of them are being prepared for use.


The Museum of Rotterdam heard about her collection and decided to get involved.  They  determined her work would be used to show neighborhood pride of 2 Carnissestraat.  The Museum also displayed her work.  So a choreographer designed a dance tribute, a marching band prepared, and a parade with Loes Veenstra as the Grand Marshall was organized.  See all in this video.  Here's the text of the video translated:

“Since 1955, Loes Veenstra has knitted over 550 sweaters and stored them in her home on the 2nd Carnissestraat in Rotterdam. The sweaters have never been worn. Until today. [...]  Loes and the fruit of her decades of knitting were ‘discovered’ by Museum Rotterdam. The museum has put her sweaters on display as part of the  exhibition ´Over leven in Carnisse´ (Life in Carnisse), on show until January 18, 2013 in Gemaal op Zuid (Pretorialaan 141, Rotterdam).”

I love the fact that this wonderful knitter was able to put out nearly 10 sweaters per year with none of them in a size smaller than a young children (aka no baby/toddler sweaters).  It is possible to pick out the different fashion styles as well.  Did you notice the 1980's versions that are oversized? I also get a kick out of the fact she appears to have gone through colour phases.  Did you notice all the pink sweaters in one segment of the video and a black/white phase in another?  It's apparent she was testing her skills using many different types of stitches, some are quite complicated.  And finally, Loes has one incredible knitting obsessions!

Best part is Loes appears to be enjoying all the attention she's getting.  She is tapping to the beat of the music and closely watching the dancers.  The only thing I wasn't able to locate is what happened to all those sweaters.  It would be a shame not to have them being used/enjoyed by others.  

Do you feel better, now?  I know I do. 

Comments

  1. I too find it curious that she did not share all her wonderful work! So much of her art could have been seen by so many others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...