Skip to main content

Spring?

The local weather forecast for today said it was to be sunny and moderately warm, between 6-8 degree C or about 44 to 48 degree F.  The heavy rains stopped early yesterday morning, and we're looking forward to a nice change of pace with a long sunny weekend.  It cannot be candy coated, the forecast really, really let us down today.

Just a brief prelude here for why a sunny day is so important.  The weather in greater Vancouver this time of year is just nuts.  For approximately four months Vancouverites have enjoyed cloudy, rainy weather and we've just about had it by now. We know we're about at the end and when a good day is promised, it better come through.  Some of the lucky, or is it smart, among us leave for sunnier spots this time of year to avoid the wait, a trip that might only be driving to Whistler to the top of the mountains where the sun is found.  But others of us stick it out all winter, and we really do get cranky about the whole gloomy atmospherics around us in late March if that gloom lingers too long.  We're all quite aware SPRING officially started on March 20.

So today, March 22 a full 48 hours after that officially start, some of us just completely and totally lost it.  Why?  Because the day started by having to get to work in a relatively heavy snowstorm.  (OK it wasn't like a real Prairie blowing wind and zero-visibility/whiteout thing, but it was heavy.  OK actually the snow in general hit the ground and melted shortly there after.  But hey, we're sick, sick, sick of winter!  No more snow is needed and BTW I removed my snow tires over 6 weeks ago.)   And someone should be warning the poor crocus, primroses and just-leafing-out tulips that they might need to hold off what with the potential of snowfall and freezing (clear skies = freezing temperatures).  But no one warns them and you can almost hear their little whimpers for help and see them shivering in the cold.  (Again, here I am complaining about winter and in the next sentence mentioning visible crocus, primroses and tulips; yes I know, the irony isn't lost on me.  Just remember I'm a bit testy right now.)

Additionally, I am well aware that I have relatives and friends who are digging themselves out of a real blizzard as I write this and here I am complaining about a bit of snow.  Aah, I get it, I've turned into a wimp about winter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then all of a sudden around lunch time today, the clouds part, the sun breaks through as though its been waiting longer than it wanted to get to shine.  The sky becomes blue and, of course, any snow that might have survived for more than a few moments, melts away.  We all do our best to subdue our enthusiasm and keep checking the windows to make sure that orb in the sky will stick with us for just a bit longer today than say, yesterday.  And so it goes.  We are spoiled but most of us ignore that thought for now.

Here are a few photos that prove the weather today was truly bi-polar.  One of my colleagues, who is equally as sick of winter as the rest of us, decided in disgust this morning to actually photograph the snow.  Then later this afternoon she went back and caught the sun shining.  I'll let you do your own compare and contract on them.

Four on the left, this am, four on the right, this pm
So my fellow Vancouverites, just hang in there, don't go stir crazy about the weather.  If you don't like it right now, simply endure because within a half-day it will be completely different.  It's SPRING and you just can't count on it to be predictable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4