Skip to main content

The Macabre In Yarn

Knitted Mr. Edless
Two normal posts in a row now demands time to continue the quirkiness/weirdness factor.  This horse head conjures up reminders of the movie The Godfather, yes you do remember that scene, right?  And all of us of a certain age remember Mr. Ed, the talking horse in a TV series from our childhood.  Put the two together and you have Mr. Edless here.  This model can be used by the more refined gangster to send the message wanted without all the consequential mess. Becca Compton from the U.S. not only posted some additional great photos (just click on Next), she also shares a free pattern to knit one for yourself.  So join the dark side and knit up a Mr. Edless for your least favourite person.

Or how about knitting up this poor kitty?


Although I could find the image and the cat is definitely knit, I couldn't locate any more about this poor soul. You're on your own to make this one for yourself.  (I didn't let Mike, my cat, see this photo.  It would be far too distressing for him especially since he's never outside. [A car is foreign to him.]  Mike might come to conclude this can happen should a human step or sit on him, and in our house either could be a real hazard/possibility.)

Finally, to finish this trio, a dissected lab rat, yup you read it correctly.  This is the handiwork of aKNITomy, a crafter found on Esty.  Click on the link at the left to enter the self-proclaimed icky and cuddly knitted world of anatomy.  No patterns are sold, just the end products.  I believe the patterns could be pretty easily duplicated, but I'm not sure I know the internals of a rat well enough to get the organs and colours done anatomically correct.  But then I'm pretty sure I won't be knitting in this realm anyway.  I'll do fruits, vegetables, animals and such.  Even I find this more than quirky.




So have I creeped you out enough with these three?  And these weren't the worst of what I found.  Weird right?  Next time we'll move into knitting and science another fascinating combination (although we tippy- toed closely here with the lab rat).   Or maybe I'll throw in a couple more normal posts to give you a break.  It will be wherever my whims take me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms...

Gosling's Meme and Knitting

What is a meme, you may first ask? Well Dr. Richard Dawkins, an evolutionary biologist, came up with the idea in the late 1970's and stated something like: a meme is to a society what a gene is to a human. Both are an element or unit that can be replicated or passed from one individual to another. During the Internet age memes can be easily shared, replicated or otherwise passed on to another. Recent examples can be found on Gawker . Memes can include piano playing cats, a honey badger, the Call Me Maybe phenomenon and so on. The political campaign in the U.S. helped fuel memes using some of the most unusual statements like, "binders of women" and "you didn't build that." A few memes have staying power but most have a relatively short life span. Gosling's meme related to knitting has been around for some time; so when I again saw another post about him recently, it was time to figure out the origin. Ryan Gosling is a Canadian actor born in Onta...

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right! ...