Skip to main content

Sushi's Done

So my 50% completed sushi project is now complete.  (There's happy, happy cheers going off in my head.)  It has been in process since, well to be honest I don't remember, but it has been a long time.  It was listed in my WIPs (works in progress) page in October and stood incomplete well before that time.  John had urged me to continue to be motivated in this type of food after the pork lo mein with noodles.  And thanks to his nudge, I finished the project this weekend.

This pattern is again from Susie Johns.  Part of the trick for the Maki is finding ribbon the right size, and I was not totally successful in this.  My ribbon is a bit too small or my rolls a bit too big, either way it isn't quite true to life Maki, but then any knitted food will have to take some license.  The centre of my Uramaki is a bit small, but the soy paper (ribbon) is perfect in size!  I'm not sure what the yellow centre is, perhaps yellowtail.  The Nigiri is topped with salmon and yellowtail, at least in my version.

Unlike Susie Johns' version I decided to add small plates (yes those really are meant to be plates) and a pair of chopsticks.  The plates are made using garter stitches three deep on the edges and stockinette in the centre.  And since I had the I-cord down, the chopsticks were made starting with four stitches then tapering to three and finally two stitches.  To give the chopsticks the stiffness they needed I slid bamboo skewers in each and cut them to the right size.  Inserting those skewers is really no small feat since the pointed tips like to get caught in the I-cord and pop out the other side.  Patience wins the day with this part of the project.  (It took me more time to insert the skewers than to knit the I-cord, just as a point of reference.)

And here it is, my knitted sushi:

My Nigiri, Maki and Uramaki on plates with chopsticks
John, they will be delivered tomorrow; perhaps a bit late for the real thing, but no problem with the knitted kind.


Comments

  1. These are amazing Jan - you can sell them to Japanese restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I need to perfect a few things first though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ode to the Cat

It has been six months since Mike, the cat's, passing.  I think of him every day and miss him especially when Paul is away.  Mike was a being in the house with me and we were close.  Grieving his death has been muddled with my Dad's passing and sometimes I feel guilty about that happening.  As time passes the ache becomes less hurtful for both and I am starting to get mostly good memories in its place. Recently I helped celebrate Pablo Neruda's birthday with Jami, my poet and overall very creative friend.  Guests were asked to select one poem written by Neruda to read to the small group who gathered for the celebration.  I picked this one: Ode To The Cat -- Pablo Neruda There was something wrong with the animals: their tails were too long, and they had unfortunate heads. Then they started coming together, little by little fitting together to make a landscape, developing birthmarks, grace, flight. But the cat, only the cat turned out finished, and

Anatomy of a Sock

I've been knitting socks for a relatively short time.  One of the disconcerting things for me as I started following patterns for socks is the pattern designer assumes the knitter (in this case that would be me) knows all the parts of a sock.  So I thought I'd devote a post to improve my own knowledge about the anatomy of a sock and maybe some of you will learn something about the humble yet necessary sock as well. Here's the names of the parts of the foot as I know them. #49 ankle, #50 heel, #51, instep, #52 ball, #53 big toe, #54 toe, #55 little toe, #56 toenail. There are some parts more important for this discussion; first the heel of a foot is generally used to refer to the entire C-shape from the ankle to the instep.  Speaking of the instep, it refers to that curve near the bottom of the foot.  And what seems to be missing in the design above is the sole which generally refers to the bottom of the foot in total or plantar aspect in more technical terms.  (BTW

Yarn Barf

It's back to quirkiness and time to step away again from the cuteness for a while.  But as you see I'm someone who slips from one to the other without much effort so anticipate this back and forth to be my new normal. A dramatization of me in the midst of my startitist frenzy Yarn barf .  I'm willing to bet you hadn't thought of putting those two words together, had you?  It just so happens yarn barf can be a reoccurring pain for those of us who use yarns that come in a skein instead of a hank.  (No pun intended regarding the current Noro virus, well maybe a little pun.) Skeins of yarn wound by the manufacturer These are hanks which need to be wound into balls  If you look closely at the picture on the right you'll see the start on the millet yellow skein at the centre right of the photo.  Its start can easily be seen coming from the centre of the skein onto the violet skein to the left.  Easy to find, right!  Sure but what about the remaining 4